Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
August 2014 I got smashed in a front end collision and it destroyed my 92 s10 that I rebuilt from the ground up and was paint/bag ready :lmaop: I purchased this truck about a month ago and have completely fallen in love with it. Its been my "dream" truck for years. As a lot of people do when they get a "new" used vehicle, I had mine checked out professionally to see what it needs to be up to par.

well.. after leaving the shop.
I need 2 new hub assembly's
Outer Tie rods (might as well do inners too)
All shocks (although they feel ok to me still)
Alignment/Tires (the driver front tire is bald on the inner side)

So I said eff it. I'll rebuild the front end to include all moving front suspension parts (and rear shocks) I did this on my s10 and it was a breeze. I'm thinking it wont be as easy but fairly close to the same idea. I've been looking around for a while for the best route to drop the truck and not have to re-align every month.

I will be trying to keep this at a fair budget. (keep in mind I am still learning the ins and outs of this truck)

With that said, the back should be simple with new oem shocks and 2 or 3" blocks/ and Lowpro crossmember. I will be building the crossmember from 1/4" steel I have laying around. (not looking to do a C-notch)

The front I'm a little more confused about. There's shorter control arms/ball joints/shocks/springs/probably more.

For the front I would like coil overs from what I hear but I don't know much about them or their prices. I've read some people who use the shorter ball joints need pinion shims? I would like to not shim the pinions. I'm seeing a whole bunch of different ways to drop the front with different pros/cons. What would be the best setup for the front since I will be pulling everything out anyway? If you have better ideas/critiques for the back I would like to know as well.

Since I am changing a lot out I would like to go best price/performance without sacrificing drivability or alignment. The shop I went to quoted me 1785.00 for hubs/outer rods/tires/and a couple other misc things. without tires it was basically 1,000 even. 500 parts 500 labor. Since Im getting more parts, I am expecting to spend more. Since the labor is my own, Im expecting to save more. I'd like to stay at/under a grand for everything (of course less is always better)

Thank you guys for taking the time to read this overly large thread.

Extra info:
I have already done a mobile1 oil change
Denso performance Iridium Sparks and Sparkz mod beryllium(sp) rods (on the way)
CAI made from 3" EMT
Corvette super servos ordered
Gut/port manifold (this weekend)
helper springs for wheel hop (this weekend)

what else you guys got for me (no PTB wanted.. at least for now)

I hope this is the right thread.. I'm new go easy on me guys.. I typed so much I forgot which one its in,,

Im proud to be a part of the :salute: where can I get these decals everyone has!?
EDIT*Looks like I'm doing rotors too. they have some small grooves causing hellatious scream.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did my drop last month and it was fairly reasonable. I picked up the Belltech 2"/2" kit with drop ball joints for the front and blocks in the rear for under $250 shipped to my door. Then I bought the Monroe air shocks for the rear since I haul tools for work a lot and wanted that adjustability when loaded for about $60. And finally I got my JTR crossmember for $140. Did all the labor myself in one night and spent $100 on an alignment the next day. So for under $600 got it all done and couldn't be happier.

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did my drop last month and it was fairly reasonable. I picked up the Belltech 2"/2" kit with drop ball joints for the front and blocks in the rear for under $250 shipped to my door. Then I bought the Monroe air shocks for the rear since I haul tools for work a lot and wanted that adjustability when loaded for about $60. And finally I got my JTR crossmember for $140. Did all the labor myself in one night and spent $100 on an alignment the next day. So for under $600 got it all done and couldn't be happier.
I think I want the adjustable shocks also, how easy are they to adjust? and can I use the adjustment to lower just a bit more when not pulling anything? would the Ball joints be better than shorter springs/shocks up front?

Thanks for your reply :thumbup:

·
the guy that always on
3,238 Posts
Qa1 coilovers fit into your budget. Imo Hands down the best adjustable height / dampening for the money. The front set up runs about $600. I have them and would never go back. They also have rear shocks that are adjustable too just dampening tho. I think the tally for the total qa1 set up front coilovers and rear shocksis about $800. Then grab some blocks and an alignment. The best thing about the qs in my opinion is if it's too bouncy I can change it

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Qa1 coilovers fit into your budget. Hands down the best adjustable height / dampening for the money. The front set up runs about $600. I have them and would never go back. They also have rear shocks that are adjustable too just dampening tho.
Thanks, I think I might go this route with simple blocks in the back. Is there anything in between doing the Qa1's or the Ball joints? like a middle option. Thanks for the input Uncanny.

·
Luv them hoochies
3,604 Posts
Welcome to the nation
Sorry to hear about the truck

I have some bnib djm rear shocks and I also have some never used 2" bt front springs and some 3" blocks in the shed
Do u need a front bumper plastic at all

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
the guy that always on
3,238 Posts
You can go blocks or drop leafs in there rear. Drop leafs decrease your payload. Blocks will make you hit frame faster. As far as the front goes. 1" 2" 3" lowering coils. Lowering coils are known to be bouncy. Also your a zq8 so with coils you would get .5" to 1"less drop then advertised because the zq8 coils are shorter from the factory. 2" belltech balljoint ( pinion shims would go along with blocks for the rear) most will say this is best ride for the money. I've never had them. Djm makes a 3" Lower control arm. The balljoint or the arms are gonna be the best ride for the smallest amount of cash. Then you have coilovers. I'm biased as I have qa1s but there are a few options. Belltech has two different coilover options. One is height adjustable only and the other is height/ dampening. Then there are qa1s. Height and dampeong adjustable. Available with 18 + ride adjustments and you can also pick the best spring rate for your specific. I don't believe there is a mass produced drop knuckle/spindle available at anything that would be remotely affordable. If that'd the kit you are thinking of getting you can look up the part# on belltechs website and find out exactly what comes with the kit. Looks like a stock photo to me

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can go blocks or drop leafs in there rear. Drop leafs decrease your payload. Blocks will make you hit frame faster. As far as the front goes. 1" 2" 3" lowering coils. Lowering coils are known to be bouncy. Also your a zq8 so with coils you would get .5" to 1"less drop then advertised because the zq8 coils are shorter from the factory. 2" belltech balljoint ( pinion shims would go along with blocks for the rear) most will say this is best ride for the money. I've never had them. Djm makes a 3" Lower control arm. The balljoint or the arms are gonna be the best ride for the smallest amount of cash. Then you have coilovers. I'm biased as I have qa1s but there are a few options. Belltech has two different coilover options. One is height adjustable only and the other is height/ dampening. Then there are qa1s. Height and dampeong adjustable. Available with 18 + ride adjustments and you can also pick the best spring rate for your specific. I don't believe there is a mass produced drop knuckle/spindle available at anything that would be remotely affordable. If that'd the kit you are thinking of getting you can look up the part# on belltechs website and find out exactly what comes with the kit. Looks like a stock photo to me
This tells me almost everything I need to know. I was unaware of the 1" less than advertised with coils. I'm looking for a 3-4 so I will look into the 3" control arms with stock shocks/springs and a combo of 2" block and 2" leafs for the back. I'm not sure if I would need a c-notch and a pumpkin notch at 4" lower in the back. How would I determine what angle pinion shim I need?

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would go with the 2-inch lowering ball joints from Belltech and some JTR rear blocks with the stock shocks for the best ride quality. Then have James or Jeremy give you a PCM mailorder tune.
I do want a tune after a finish the few little performance mods, but how does a mail order tune work? I'll be searching the forum for this information. Thanks

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
QA1 coilovers.

Accept no substitutes.

·
the guy that always on
3,238 Posts
This tells me almost everything I need to know. I was unaware of the 1" less than advertised with coils. I'm looking for a 3-4 so I will look into the 3" control arms with stock shocks/springs and a combo of 2" block and 2" leafs for the back. I'm not sure if I would need a c-notch and a pumpkin notch at 4" lower in the back. How would I determine what angle pinion shim I need?
They only make a 3" leaf. However once again because your zq8 you only get about 2" drop from the 3" leaf. With a 3" block I needed a 3 degree pinion shim. I'm not sure about drop block with drop leaves. I'm at 3" of drop in the back and I smack my frame often

·
Monkey Slut!
9,474 Posts
This is the kit I am looking at, But I cant tell if everything in the picture is included. If I can get a hold of the seller, and it is as shown, I believe its a pretty good deal?

Belltech SP lowering Kit for 04 12 GM Chevrolet Colorado Canyon 608SP | eBay

thanks, Ive been looking through there for a while now
Save your money, that kit is junk.

QA1 coilovers.

Accept no substitutes.
Agreed!

If you want the best quality ride then I would save your money on all the other drop stuff and go with QA1's. You can get up to 3 inches of drop from them and you can adjust the ride. I've had just about all the drops there is to offer and Q's are by far the best. If you choose to drop more after the Q's then I would suggest Belltech drop ball joints and nothing else. You won't have problems with alignment with this set up.

For the rear, yeah air shocks are cool cause you can adjust the height but they are horrible shocks. Really aren't a shock at all. I would suggest a quality shock if you can't afford Q's for the rear and save up for helper bags if you want adjust-ability.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Save your money, that kit is junk.

Agreed!

If you want the best quality ride then I would save your money on all the other drop stuff and go with QA1's. You can get up to 3 inches of drop from them and you can adjust the ride. I've had just about all the drops there is to offer and Q's are by far the best. If you choose to drop more after the Q's then I would suggest Belltech drop ball joints and nothing else. You won't have problems with alignment with this set up.

For the rear, yeah air shocks are cool cause you can adjust the height but they are horrible shocks. Really aren't a shock at all. I would suggest a quality shock if you can't afford Q's for the rear and save up for helper bags if you want adjust-ability.

agreed. ive had every setup also except bell tech coil overs up front. start with ball joints and blocks. and get them from #norcalss on here for all your bell tech needs. you can start with stock shocks also, and upgrade as money sees fit. just my .02

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After a bunch of research ( and still doing more ) I have found these parts.

DJM Control Arms $245
DJM Control Arms Tubular Front Lower Steel Silver Chevy Colorado Canyon rwd 3" | eBay

Inner & Outer tie rods $42
4 Front Inner Outer Tie Rods for 2004 2005 Chevy Colorado 5 yr Warranty | eBay

Sway Bar Links $17
2 Front Sway Bar Link Colorado Canyon Isuzu I 280 I 290 I 370 5 yr Warranty | eBay

Ball Joints $65
4 New Front Upper Lower Ball Joint for Chevy GMC 1 Year Warranty | eBay

I'm up for suggestions on which shocks/blocks/notch to get.

I need to know if the ZQ8 Chassis has proprietary hubs? I found some z85 hubs for $100 for the pair, but I'm afraid they wont work. Can someone confirm this?

I will be fabricating my own Low Profile cross member to save some dough. I've got the steel laying around.

I think that covers everything it all, am I missing anything? kThx guise

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd keep the stock control arms and use the belltech lowering ball joints.

KR-Fabs has an inexpensive low-pro crossmember and with the Canadian exchange rate it's even cheaper.

Also the front wheel hubs are proprietary for the ZQ8 2WD models.
man, I think you talked me back into the belltech ball joints, and some 3" blocks.. instead of the 3/4 DJM kit. If I do the 2/3, I think I can get away without a notch, and just the cross member. What is the disadvantage if the blocks don't have that pinion angle?

should I go back with new stock shocks or do they need to be a little stiffer?
Then just to find some hubs on ebay that arnt like $200 each at autozone!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.