Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm in the process of replacing the main bearings in my '06 2.8, looked in the FSM ( Factory Service Manuals) and it states "18 Ft/Lb, then 180 deg". Is 18 Ft/Lb correct?
Thanks
Don

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
From the 2006 Service Manual that I have:

Tighten the crankshaft main bearing cap bolts in equal increments.

Tighten the crankshaft main bearing cap bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft) in sequence.
Use J 45059 to tighten the crankshaft main bearing cap bolts an additional 180 degrees.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what my factory service manual states, it just seemed very light at 18ft/lbs as just about every other engine i've done was like 60ft/lbs or more. (i'm a fossil as 99% were older chevy/pontiac engines).
Thanks
Don

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Most all fastener torques for aluminum block engines are less than for cast iron. Some of the torques almost don't seem to be sufficient to hold the components. Exhaust manifold bolts are one example. A large number of DIYers have learned the hard way, when they sheared attach bolts for such items as the ignition coils and water pumps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm fast learning on these newer engines & transmissions that what i've done for the last 40 years isn't going to cut it these days. lol Looks like some new tools and methods are required, guess an old dog can learn new tricks.
Thanks
Don

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
I'm fast learning on these newer engines & transmissions that what i've done for the last 40 years isn't going to cut it these days. lol Looks like some new tools and methods are required, guess an old dog can learn new tricks.
Thanks
Don
LOL, I outdate you by about twenty years and I'm still buying tools. One thing you will never get too much of is information. Service Manuals, Parts Manuals, bookmarked web sources and forums, such as this one, are all necessary to keep up with changes. Google is definitely my friend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL, I outdate you by about twenty years and I'm still buying tools. One thing you will never get too much of is information. Service Manuals, Parts Manuals, bookmarked web sources and forums, such as this one, are all necessary to keep up with changes. Google is definitely my friend.
I'm 55 this year, and i still read everything i can get my hands on. Browse several forums and Google is my friend too. lol I usually work on 60's/early 70's Camaro's, GTO's, Nova's..etc i got this colorado for my son and i'm having the dreaded P0017 code. Replaced the sensors, solenoid finally took the thing to the dealer and guess what - excessive crankshaft end play. $7500 for an engine & install, $3500 to replace the main's was their estimate. HAHAHA Yea right, i've got new Clevite 77 mains, a new timing set, oil pump too while i'm there. I'm gonna just pull the engine and replace all that stuff maybe this weekend. If that dosen't work, i'm thinking 5.3 conversion. lol
thanks
Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts