Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys,

I have an 06 canyon with the 3.5l. I live in Rhode Island, so for those of you who know where this is, you might know that we just got hit with a "blizzard". So I'm here because I love my accessories, I have a plow and multiple winches. Yes multiple. I have a system, nothing crazy just 2 10" subs in a custom box under my back seat, 1200w amp. No cap. Extra lights and camera's. So I'm assuming you all can see where I'm going with this. All of my toys are to much, put to much of a strain on my alternator. during the "blizzard" I got stuck plowing, so I used my winch to pull me out, radio up, lights and a reserve camera on, and the truck stalled out on me. So I'm thinking....

Yellow top optima
And now I need some ideas for an alternator, WHAT SIZE and WHERE can I get it without breaking the bank????

I was also thinking of adding a second battery. But I don't really want to go that route.

Thanks
Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea that 220amp seems like it's the way to go. Hopefully it's not much more $ than the 160amp. I'm going to try calling power bastards lol. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks for your help man appreciate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just spoke with power bastards, for 04-06 canyon or Colorado they are on back order and it could be a month before they get them. If they even get any. But he did suggest on their website there's a tab that says "the fitzall 220+" which is supposedly universal to fit all vehicles. Not sure how I feel about that. But I'll do some research

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
I just spoke with power bastards, for 04-06 canyon or Colorado they are on back order and it could be a month before they get them. If they even get any. But he did suggest on their website there's a tab that says "the fitzall 220+" which is supposedly universal to fit all vehicles. Not sure how I feel about that. But I'll do some research
Ahh good info. Be sure to post up if you find anything else out.

The 09-12,runs about $350.on their site..so I'm sure it wouldn't be far off from that price .. Personally I wouldn't go with the a universal either

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Supermodulation and myself are looking to find a way to put a trailblazer alternator in our trucks. Their 200amp and relatively cheap. Compared to our 120amp and is like double the cost new.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
You could also lower your alternator demand by installing some HID & LED lights to replace those power hungry halogen bulbs.

2004-2006 = 100-Amp
2007+ I4 I5 = 125-Amp
2009+ V8 = 145-Amp

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Also maybe look into a dual battery set up as well

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Supermodulation and myself are looking to find a way to put a trailblazer alternator in our trucks..
is there a part number for this? Or is it any trailblazer? I have a contact at GM and can get decent pricing

Also maybe look into a dual battery set up as well
this is what I would suggest. You need the extra battery supply for your demand. Of course the alt needs to recharge it, but the batteries are there for the load..

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I believe it's any i6 trailblazer. I could be wrong tho.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Supermodulation and myself are looking to find a way to put a trailblazer alternator in our trucks. Their 200amp and relatively cheap. Compared to our 120amp and is like double the cost new.
quick bump, did you ever find a way to make it happen??

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
YEah I'm curious if the Trailblazer alternator ever hashed out....... not that I need that much power

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Interesting. The 2004 Colorado I-5 and the 2004 I-6 Trailblazer both have the same electrical connector/wiring schematic and appear the use the same mount configuration.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
More research. Going through the Service Manuals, the spec listed for the 355 generators is 100 amp. At least for the years 2004 thru 2007. The Trailblazer Service Manuals indicate that the 4.2 generators are rated at 150 amp.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts