Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so since I've owned my truck whenever I go over bumps or humps of even sometimes when I take off there is a "clanking" noise coming from somewhere in the rear of the truck. It only occurs when i'm traveling under 30-35 mph. It definitely sounds like a metal on metal sound. It happens under acceleration, braking, coasting, in gear, in neutral, forward, reverse, going straight or turning. I have been ignoring the noise, but it is starting to drive me crazy.

The truck is an 06 singe cab z71 4x4 3.5l 5 speed. 123k miles. It has newer shocks all the way around and helper air bags in the rear. All of the U joints have been recently replaced, I have an aftermarket muffler on it and its not connected to one of the exhaust hangers, but I don't think thats where its coming from

I have a video clip that I just took this evening, its decently long with some pretty good clanks in it, but from 35-42 seconds you can faintly hear the noise quite a few times in a row.

My good friend has an 04 canyon extended cab with the offroad package and his makes the exact same noise under the same conditions, but not quite as loud

Here is a link to my youtube video

Chevy Colorado 3.5l clanking noise - YouTube

I wasn't sure which forum I should post this under, sorry if it's in the wrong place.

If anyone has any ideas on what it might be, i'm all ears!

Thanks everyone!

·
I Vanquish Boredom
1,581 Posts
Hard to tell with the wind noise on the camera but my bet would be either your rear springs making some noise, or more likely you're due for a rear u-joint. Could also be your spare tire moving and bumping into your exhaust etc, but if the noise has just started recently, u-joint would be my bet. How many miles on the truck?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to tell with the wind noise on the camera but my bet would be either your rear springs making some noise, or more likely you're due for a rear u-joint. Could also be your spare tire moving and bumping into your exhaust etc, but if the noise has just started recently, u-joint would be my bet. How many miles on the truck?
Its got almost 124k, I replaced both rear U joints under 3k miles ago, i'll take a look at my spare tomorrow and see if its contacting anything. Its always made the noise for almost as long as I can remember, its just getting beyond irritating now since i'm driving with my windows down most of the time instead of them up during the winter

·
I Vanquish Boredom
1,581 Posts
Check your rear spring packs then. It could very easily be your leafs making noise (I seem to remember a how to on here about how to quieten them down if they make noise), and less likely, your leaf spring bushings could be toast. You could also try re torquing the bolts that mount the bed to the frame. I've had the cab mount bolts on mine loosen slightly and cause noise...re torqued them up and no problems since (3 were below torque spec, but not loose either).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check your rear spring packs then. It could very easily be your leafs making noise (I seem to remember a how to on here about how to quieten them down if they make noise), and less likely, your leaf spring bushings could be toast. You could also try re torquing the bolts that mount the bed to the frame. I've had the cab mount bolts on mine loosen slightly and cause noise...re torqued them up and no problems since (3 were below torque spec, but not loose either).
If i stand on the rear bumper and jump up and down the noise will also occur, nothing seems to be hitting the exhaust or the spare tire, my leaf springs are spaced apart pretty far due to my helper bags. I searched for a thread on how to quiet them down but found nothing...

·
Registered
208 Posts
have you checked the torque on your lug nuts recently? When I put my aal and rear axle seals in I forgot to torque them to spec so they were just on tight with a small ratchet. when was going slow or over bumps the back end would make similar noises. when I got home that day I cranked em down to 100 ft/lbs and the noise went away. might be something to try

1 - 6 of 6 Posts