Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
So what are you swapping into the 06? 08 Motor and trans?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thought is keep the 5 speed my 3.5 is dead was going to use 3.7 from the 08 and whatever pcm Bcm wiring harness from the 08

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t want to have to go the route of making the 08 engine like the 07 was wondering about using everything from the 08 engine and sensor and wiring wise . Side note the trick is an 06 regular cab 5 speed z71 410 gears aftermarket header cat delete not sure on what brand header it was on the truck when I bought it and there is a pcm for less thing on the current computer which I’m pretty sure I can’t use

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
If you were going to transfer the 08 engine/transmission and all associated wiring and Modules, the swap probably would not be very problematic. Swapping just the engines is going to cause some issues that will have to be worked out. The 08 has a TCM and an ECM. How will the 3.7 ECM/TCM "talk" to the 5 speed?

Another issue to deal with is the Secondary Air System on the 08. It will either have to be transferred or deactivated. If deactivated, you may have to get a "tune" to prevent system warnings (check engine light), as that is an Emissions System.

Another issue will be with the Odometer. The BCM stores the mileage in memory. Not sure, but if the 08 has less mileage than the 06, the 08 BCM may roll back the Odometer on the 06.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Oof sounds like a project!

IIRC, the PCM and TCM are the only modules that use HSCAN. The rest of the modules communicate over a slower serial link. Will a 2008 PCM talk to a 2006 BCM?

I think at a minimum you would need to plan on swapping the 2008 BCM in, because start is controlled by the PCM and BCM working together.

A tune can delete the TCM, AIR, and Passlock.

3 modules vote on odometer: Cluster, BCM, PCM. So for sure, the new frankentruck will display the 2008 mileage. Might as well swap the cluster and complete the trifecta.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will admit all of my previous swaps all revolved around carbureted small blocks that had one wire alternators I may be think out side my skill set here. But I was hope there was someone else who had experience with this I understand that I could drill for the cam sensor and change the exhaust cam reader and use the 06 sensors and computer should I just go that route? was hoping the 5speed would simplify some of the issues . The reason for the 08 motor is a bought complete truck with bent frame for 300 bucks just looking for ideas on best route of action

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
If you have two complete trucks to choose from, I don't think it will be as difficult as you might think. Forget about modifying the 3.7 engine to be compatible with the 06 wiring. Just take whatever is attached to the 08 engine and install it in the 06. Use the 08 PCM, BCM, and maybe the TCM. I have no idea if the 5 speed will be a direct bolt on for the 3.7. Someone here should know, but if not, you will find out when you attempt it. You will still have the auto in the 08 to fall back on.

As stated before, if you go with the 5 speed you will need to figure out the wiring for the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). as the connectors are not the same and the VSS signals may not be the same.

While the 3.5 and the 3.7 have some differences, they are basically the same engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should add a check engine light causes me no trouble sleeping as long as it runs like it should .i figured there would have to be a reflash or tune needed on the 08 pcm at least for the lack of cats and header among whatever else

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any threads you guys seen close to my plan that you can think of I don’t mind to read through to see different opinions. I have searched and haven’t found a direct match but any input is appreciated and thanks too those have already chimed in

·
Registered
832 Posts
I will admit all of my previous swaps all revolved around carbureted small blocks that had one wire alternators I may be think out side my skill set here. But I was hope there was someone else who had experience with this I understand that I could drill for the cam sensor and change the exhaust cam reader and use the 06 sensors and computer should I just go that route? was hoping the 5speed would simplify some of the issues . The reason for the 08 motor is a bought complete truck with bent frame for 300 bucks just looking for ideas on best route of action
Frame swap?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is a reg cab donor is extended cab besides I loved my little truck neat little package it is. If the 3.7 swap runs any better than the 3.5 it will really be cool .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know it’s been a while but just to follow up, I never tried the 3.7. two weeks after making the post ran into a deal on a 04 3.5 with 80k so I grabbed it up and dropped it in used all my wiring. Except for having an extra knock sensor hanging on the side of the block all is well! Thanks to all who responded.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts