Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
06 GMC canyon. Will try to give us as much details as possible. Car last Friday suddenly switched key to on position lights on dashboard and headlight came on then suddenly went away would not start. No crank no click looks as if I lost all power no dashboard lights lock/unlock door switch would not work popped hood pulled out the power and starter relay started up fine no problem took to auto parts store replaced the relays also had battery alternator and starter tested all pass. This is second time had tested within a month because had same promblem but just tried to start again no problem. Had problem same problem yesterday lights on dash came on went to crank/start nothing and again lost all power no lights on dash etc checked battery connections and tightness. All good disconnected negative battery cable and started right up. Thinking ignition switch? Am low on funds and would like to hopefully fix in one go and wanted to ask before dropping money please help and thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Welcome to the Nation.

Would be helpful to know what vehicle we are talking about. The symptoms could possibly lead to a defective ignition switch, however one detail does not fit. If the door lock switch was not working, that indicates a power problem. The door locks get power directly from the battery and have nothing to do with the ignition switch. Follow the ground lead from the battery to where it connects to the frame and make sure that connection is clean and secure.

How was the battery tested and how old is it? Was it load tested?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Nation.

Would be helpful to know what vehicle we are talking about. The symptoms could possibly lead to a defective ignition switch, however one detail does not fit. If the door lock switch was not working, that indicates a power problem. The door locks get power directly from the battery and have nothing to do with the ignition switch. Follow the ground lead from the battery to where it connects to the frame and make sure that connection is clean and secure.

How was the battery tested and how old is it? Was it load tested?
Sorry about not including the car 😅. It was tested at an auto parts with their tester that they can take outside. It’s is about 6 months old if that. After having power initially from moving the key to the run position it is when trying to crank when it suddenly lost all power no lights on dash no outside light and no power to the locks even taking out trying again no lights initially this time no power or crank whatsoever even after multiple attempts

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Um, we still don't have any vehicle information. This still sounds like a power proiblem. Do you have another battery you can try? See if you can measure the battery voltage when the key is turned to start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Um, we still don't have any vehicle information. This still sounds like a power proiblem. Do you have another battery you can try? See if you can measure the battery voltage when the key is turned to start.
06 GMC Canyon sorry thought I had added it to the title. Have had the battery tested twice and at 12 volts will take in to test and get proper multimeter volt testing again tomorrow the grounds and everything look ok. Just thought couldn’t be battery because had tested twice both times good. And has no trouble cranking when it does start and when runs everything power wise feels normal. Thank you for the help not claiming to be expert or anything. Please any other help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Sorry, I didn't look at the title again. The problem may not be the condition of the battery. It's just something that has to be ruled out. It is the most common cause of the symptoms that you are experiencing. A battery can have enough power to turn lights on, etc, but when you turn the key to start it is adding a very heavy load. That's why I suggested checking battery voltage with the key in the start positioin. The battery voltage should not drop much below 10.5 volts.

If the battery is not the source of the problem something is putting a severe load on the circuit when the key is moved to start. Maybe starter? Again, this troubleshooting hinges on the fact that you are losing power to circuits that are not normally affected by starting i.e. door locks.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Don't assume the battery connection is good just by looking at it, remove the cable and clean the post and clamp. Just worked on an EVAP issue with my truck last week and after pulling the truck out of the garage the next day I had a no crank no start just a click. I started at the battery first and while it looked okay I removed the clamp and found corrosion between the post and clamp surface that I couldn't see until the cable was removed. A wire brush and some baking soda made a clean bright surface and my truck fired right up. Hopefully this is all you need to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
was busy this weeekend my plan was after work to do a good cleaning of grounds and battery terminals. Did not start this morning unplugged my starter and power relay started up and drove to work no problem. Picked up some corrosion cleaning stuff from OReilly in my work truck(a different truck then the one having issues). Cleaned everything before I left work and before I started it up again. Didn’t see any corrosion after removing battery terminals but cleaned anyway. Started up once no problem. Went to get gas started up again no problem hopefully will have no issue tomorow. What would be my next step if doesent start up next time. Ignition switch? Or should I check fuses first or this has nothing to do with my issue?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have had 6 strong starts since cleaning the battery. Their was no corrosion on the clamps or battery post. Not sure if this is possible but had a thought that corrosion had somehow got absorbed into the corrosion prevention gel that was applied last year December when replaced the battery. So took all of that off when cleaned. Have installed a battery in the past and applied to much of the gel which would not allow car to start but have had this gel on my truck battery for almost a year which makes me think corrosion got absorbed into the gel. Again not sure if that’s even possible lol. Won’t be convinced it’s fixed until atleast a week gos by will update in a week or if start having trouble starting again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts