Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 single cab that I bought for parts. I am nearly done getting what I need off of it. Just let me know what you need and I will see if I have it.

Paint is white with grey interior, driver's side fender and hood are no good. I cut the core support to get the power train out. I also have the fuel tank available.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
On most modern vehicles, once you plug in the new cluster it will register your actual miles. I think that's actually stored in the PCM or BCM. That's how it worked on my '01 Pontiac when I replaced the cluster. Sorry. May be different with our trucks, but I think that's how it works once the odometer went digital.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does it have the tailgate latch and metal bed plate and screws to cover the latch? My son just bought a 2005 that he has a few things he wants to do to it. So I have just joined these forums to search for advice/parts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On most modern vehicles, once you plug in the new cluster it will register your actual miles. I think that's actually stored in the PCM or BCM. That's how it worked on my '01 Pontiac when I replaced the cluster. Sorry. May be different with our trucks, but I think that's how it works once the odometer went digital.
I have actually swapped the BCM and ECM and the mileage didn't change. I am a bit confused on where that info is stored. I am now running the original cluster, BCM with the ECM and ignition switch from my donor truck and the odometer still reads the original mileage.There has to be another component somewhere that stores the odometer mileage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does it have the tailgate latch and metal bed plate and screws to cover the latch? My son just bought a 2005 that he has a few things he wants to do to it. So I have just joined these forums to search for advice/parts.
Sorry Huck, the latch is broken and the plate is in use. I believe I am going to keep the bed and frame anyway for use as a utility trailer. I think the latch can be bought online for less than $40

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry Huck, the latch is broken and the plate is in use. I believe I am going to keep the bed and frame anyway for use as a utility trailer. I think the latch can be bought online for less than $40
Looks like anywhere from $6 to $100.........

·
Registered
229 Posts
FYI , the Colorado cluster keeps the mileage it had from the original truck. For instance if my truck mileage is 5k and I install a cluster from a truck that has 20k my truck will show 20k and will not add more miles until I surpass 20k. Go figure.:(

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
WOW! That sorta sucks! When shopping for my Colorado, I test drove a Sliverado and the odometer said "ERROR". The guy at the car lot said, it's about 10 years old, so it probably has about 100,000 - 150,000 miles on it. After I drove it, I went to my car and got my Scangauge II and plugged it in. The guy at the car lot was telling other folks that wanted to drive it that the mileage was unknown but probably around 100,000 miles. As I disconnected my Scangauge II, I interrupted and said, "I just hooked this up and the mileage on the truck is just over 265,000 and truck is actually 2002, so it's 15 years old." It was 2017 when I bought my truck. I drove off and he just watched me drive away with his mouth hanging open! It was a great moment! That's not where I bought my Colorado.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FYI , the Colorado cluster keeps the mileage it had from the original truck. For instance if my truck mileage is 5k and I install a cluster from a truck that has 20k my truck will show 20k and will not add more miles until I surpass 20k. Go figure.:(
I have swapped the cluster, ECM, BCM, and even the ignition switch in varying combinations. Every time the mileage never changed from 237k. The donor truck had 137k on it. The accumulated mileage has to be stored somewhere besides the cluster, ECM, or BCM. I am curently running the ECM and ignition switch from the donor truck and the odo says 237k, if I go and swap the clusters it still says 237k.

Not sure if the mileage stays at 237k if I drive with the donor cluster, I haven't tried that.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have swapped the cluster, ECM, BCM, and even the ignition switch in varying combinations. Every time the mileage never changed from 237k. The donor truck had 137k on it. The accumulated mileage has to be stored somewhere besides the cluster, ECM, or BCM. I am curently running the ECM and ignition switch from the donor truck and the odo says 237k, if I go and swap the clusters it still says 237k.

Not sure if the mileage stays at 237k if I drive with the donor cluster, I haven't tried that.
Actually the miles are stored in the BCM. Do a search -for cluster swap- and you will find boat loads of information on clusters and swapping them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts