Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had this colorado for about 2 months now and I have noticed I havnt been getting good gas mileage. I have also noticed that it bogs down when I go into 3rd. I'm not to sure if it because the bigger rims and tires, but I don't see that killing my mpg by 10 mpg or making it bog when I'm in 3rd gear.

I have had a problem with the grounding block so I fixed that and my cabin fas has worked fine since then. At this point there was a code for 106 witch I thought was strange since I just fixed the block. So I was checking all the wires to see if I forget 1. Still had the problem so I got a new MAP sensor. It tome me a couple more days to find out that 1 of the wires had broken just out side the connector. So I got the new pigtail, after I had put it on the cutting in and out went away. When I had put the new pigtail on the map I finally toke of the tape that was on the throttle body connector and found out the connector was melted. I pit a new pigtail on, I'm getting a better throttle response not but the truck is still bogging in 3rd. I'm not sure yet if my mpg has go up since I had just done this 50 miles into a full tank.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how did you fix it, or is it just because the bigger tires. The tires are 245/65r17.

Thanks for your help in advance

I forgot to add I put a oem drop in k&n air filter and I also put on a 2 chamber street flow muffler ( off brand magnaflow )

·
Premium Member
3,473 Posts
Those figures aren't bad. A bit confusing that the short term shows a slightly rich condition while the long term is a bit lean. What are the trims while driving? Just confirming, you replaced the MAP sensor for a P0106 code? Did you put the old sensor back after repairing the wiring? Is the new sensor OEM or aftermarket?

Any idea of when the O2 sensors were replaced? Recommended replacement interval is 100,000 mi. The PCM uses the signal from the upstream O2 sensor as a primary means of adjusting fuel delivery. A deteriorating sensor can affect fuel mileage without setting a code or check engine light.

Don't have a plausible reason for the engine 'bogging down', at this time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The map was oem ACDelco I just left that one in after doing the new pigtail. I have no clue if the o2 sensors have been replaced. I asked the guy if he did 100,000 tune up on it and he asked me what is that lol. So I guess that will be my next step is to do the up and down stream o2. I only did the live view while at idle. I can record the live view tomorrow from a dead stop slowly to full throttle and see the whole run.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well on days that the temp out side Is below 80 it's running middle to 1 lines above. We had a day it got to 91 and I noticed it was running about 3 lines above middle. I have been thinking about putting a 180 thermostat in.

·
Premium Member
3,473 Posts
Well on days that the temp out side Is below 80 it's running middle to 1 lines above. We had a day it got to 91 and I noticed it was running about 3 lines above middle. I have been thinking about putting a 180 thermostat in.
I don't think a lower engine temperature is going to give you better mileage. Maybe monitor the actual temp, for a while, with the scan tool

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had this colorado for about 2 months now and I have noticed I havnt been getting good gas mileage. I have also noticed that it bogs down when I go into 3rd. I'm not to sure if it because the bigger rims and tires, but I don't see that killing my mpg by 10 mpg or making it bog when I'm in 3rd gear.

I have had a problem with the grounding block so I fixed that and my cabin fas has worked fine since then. At this point there was a code for 106 witch I thought was strange since I just fixed the block. So I was checking all the wires to see if I forget 1. Still had the problem so I got a new MAP sensor. It tome me a couple more days to find out that 1 of the wires had broken just out side the connector. So I got the new pigtail, after I had put it on the cutting in and out went away. When I had put the new pigtail on the map I finally toke of the tape that was on the throttle body connector and found out the connector was melted. I pit a new pigtail on, I'm getting a better throttle response not but the truck is still bogging in 3rd. I'm not sure yet if my mpg has go up since I had just done this 50 miles into a full tank.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how did you fix it, or is it just because the bigger tires. The tires are 245/65r17.

Thanks for your help in advance

I forgot to add I put a oem drop in k&n air filter and I also put on a 2 chamber street flow muffler ( off brand magnaflow )
You're at least a mile high in Colorado. That means thinner air. It's like having the opposite of a supercharger.

·
Registered
139 Posts
anything "out of wack" can effect mpgs!! bigger heavier tyres + wheels hurt in 2 ways, unsprung weight + gearing up hurts performance + mpgs! the thinner air SHOULD be compensated for by the ECU, unlike carbs only controlled by your foot!! my 08 2.9 with the 5 spd manual fit 25 on the highway + about 19 locally, my tyres were on 15" alloys + one size SMALLER!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts