Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've finally decided to get my 3.7 put together and throw it in my truck. I have the head bolted and torqued. Then comes time for the timing. I think I have it set correctly but I could be wrong. I expected my timing chain to have like 3 markings. Well every 7th chain is black. I found the spec of the 3.5 timing online and wasn't sure if the 3.7 was the same or not.
Here's where I found the 3.5 spec. Tech Feature: Straight Up Look at the Vortec 3500 Straight-Five Engine - Counterman Magazine
I also took a video of how I have it set now but photobucket isn't agreeing with me and it won't let me attach it through the manage attachments on here. Here's 2 pictures of the marks.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
The diagram of the camshaft timing marks in your link is exactly like the one in the 2009 Service Manual for the 3.7 engine. It says that every seventh link is darkened to aid in aligning the timing marks. Just checked my 2011 Service Manual and it is the same.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well ima go with it and give it a try. Well find out soon enough haha. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still have to find the guide bolts for the side away from the tensioner. That's a job for tomorrow. I have a balancing shaft on the way where the guy snapped the sprocket bolt off one. So I'm hoping to have it together all but that by tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha it was just to hold the chain tight for the picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts