Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
canyon has been recently stalling out at slow steady speeds roughly around 5-15mph. it happens on turns, highways, red lights, or just cruising at 5-15 like i said. planning to clean the throttle body first and see if that helps.. but i’m open to other suggestions it could be or if anyone is having or had the same issue?

i’ve never been registered on any forum site so i’m new to the 355 nation and open for suggestions!

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Cleaning throttle body is a good idea. Does the "check engine" light come on at all when the engine is operating?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
If it's a momentary thing, our basic instinct is the speed up or do something to make it run better. This is difficult, but the next time you have the problem, try your best to keep the engine at the same condition and prolong the symptoms. This may cause the check engine light to come on.
That is, if cleaning the throttle body doesn't correct the problem.
Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
07 Canyon stalling out fixed atm

cleaned the throttle body.. took it for a test run, doesn’t seem to be stalling out.. i’m going to drive it more tonight for longer periods of times to see if it stalls out... but now i’m dealing with another issue.. when accelerating only it starts to tick rapidly so i need to see where that’s coming from or possibly just need an oil change.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Tic, Tic, Tic when accelerating is possibly and exhaust leak. That opens up lots of possibilities! You could have a clogged catalytic converter or muffler. When your exhaust is clogged and you accelerate hard a few times, your exhaust will blow out a gasket or something in order to find a way to escape. I picked up a vacuum/fuel pressure tester at Harbor Freight for about $30. It's an "old school" tool for adjusting carburetors and checking mechanical fuel pumps. But, since it tests pressure up to 10 PSI, it's calibrated perfectly for checking exhaust back pressure and it came with a fitting that you can screw into your O2 sensor hole.
At idle, you should have basically no exhaust pressure (less than 1/2 psi) revving up to 2,000 RPM, you should still see less than 2 psi. It's a great tool to have, but the alternative is to simply take out the bolts that hold the pipe to the manifold and take it for a test drive and see if it runs better. With me, it's always been very hard to tell because all I can notice is all the noise!!
If you can get a buddy to put it in gear and slowly accelerate with the brakes on, you might be able to tell where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
10 Posts
canyon has been recently stalling out at slow steady speeds roughly around 5-15mph. it happens on turns, highways, red lights, or just cruising at 5-15 like i said. planning to clean the throttle body first and see if that helps.. but i’m open to other suggestions it could be or if anyone is having or had the same issue?

i’ve never been registered on any forum site so i’m new to the 355 nation and open for suggestions!
Check your oil! I had this same issue a few months back. I have a 09 Colorado with 70k miles and no warning lights ever came on. I was about 600 miles under the window sticker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts