Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For awhile my canyon was running hot. At the 3/4 mark. I've changed the fan clutch, thermostat, water pump witch was leaking, and I also changed the temp sensor. It still runs a few clicks above the 1/2 mark. Sometimes closer to the 3/4 mark. Is this normal or should I be worried about a head gasket or something???

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
That's about normal. Did you use all gm parts? I know it's a pain to have to order them but it's worth the couple bucks and the wait.
?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Your truck was likely calibrated for the 180F thermostat. They changed to the 194F thermostat in mid-2007, so a new thermostat will run warmer than what you had originally. You can get an exact reading off the ECM with a scangauge which will be much more precise than the instrument cluster. Your truck should be running 195-215F.

·
TOTM Moderator
476 Posts
I ran into the same thing and even bought the stant "180*" tstat. Which it's not but I made a little shim that'll go in the tstat and drop temps. Currently I'm running about 181-187 with the highest I've seen was 196

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know it’s not apples to apples with a totally different engine, but even with the V8 and a very cramped engine bay, at normal operating temperatures as displayed on my Scangauge, my truck runs at 193deg F at speed with a completely stock cooling system and the lovely Texas heat we are enjoying. If setting parked with no additional air-flow, it will typically climb to around 205 to 207deg F.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts