Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
haven’t been out on it yet. Just picked it up last week cheep cus it needs a top end. Took the head off and there’s a giant hole in no 1 piston lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can't the lower hose staying cool mean water is not getting through the radiator? Seems like it should get warm after a bit of driving.

JohnN

·
Registered
119 Posts
Can't the lower hose staying cool mean water is not getting through the radiator? Seems like it should get warm after a bit of driving.
If it stays COLD, then yes, but in most of these types of cases the felt temp on the lower hose is not cold just significantly cooler than the upper hose.

But a substantially internally blocked/clogged radiator would raise engine temps, I have seen radiators and engines become contaminated with a nasty gel when regular anti-freeze is mixed with dexcool, but the lower hose would be significantly warmer because there would be far less heat transfer within the radiator. A totally blocked radiator would cause the engine temps to never settle but continually climb.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got this thing straightened out today finally. I drained all the fluid out and took off the new thermostat. Took the old and the new thermostats and boiled them at the same time. The stock one opened quickly and the new one took a lot longer. I put the old one back on. Took out the radiator and replaced it with a new one since it was cheap and I’m sick of working on it. Refilled it and ran and now it rides between 180 and 190. Hottest it got idleing in the hot sun was 192. Temp guage reads just below half way to exactly half way. Problem solved

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Do you think it was the radiator or the thermostat (or a combo of both)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think it was more likely the radiator. It was running hot with the old thermostat in it, and the old radiator and new coolant. It was running even hotter with the new thermostat, old radiator and new coolant. Now I have new radiator, old thermostat and new coolant and it’s ice cold. Radiator was probably plugged internally and new thermostat was just not working properly and I was banging my head against a wall. I said f—- it and got a radiator for about 100 bucks off amazon since I already did the pump and fan clutch and new coolant. The radiator was the part of the system I didn’t change. Now everything is new except the thermostat but it’s working great and if it ain’t broke don’t fix it

21 - 26 of 26 Posts