Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys so my 07 Colorado 2.9 spun a bearing at 230k the other day and I have an 08 2.9 with 80k on it that I was going to swap in it. Well I'm 3/4 the way through swapping and as I'm putting the harness from my 07 on the 08 motor I'm noticing sensors and plugs are different. Ok no big deal so I replace a plug here and sensor there and go on. Well that's when I come to the crankshaft sensor. 07 is 2 prong 08 is 3. So I instantly start looking around and googleing everything because I noticed the sensors themselves are way different. Well that's when I found out that there may be differences in the reluctor wheels. So here is my question. What is the difference in the tooth count (has anyone actually compared the two?) and in theory if different I can just swap my 07 into the 08. Thanks in advance.

·
2 timer
1,437 Posts
I was thinking the '07 was a change year and only an '07 would work as there were a number of changes between the '07 and '08 (in both the 2.9 and 3.7). There were a couple of threads that talked about swapping the 3.5 with the 3.7, but that you needed the '07 to do the swap without having to rewire the engine bay. I'm not sure how the 2.9 fits with that except that the '07 2.9 won't work in an '08 and up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I've read all over that the difference is in the sensors and plugs but a motor is a motor as long as all the sensors match up. Only thing I'm stuck on is the crank sensor. After looking around and researching hard the 08 and 07 both use a 58x sensor but the sensors themselves are different looking and of course the prong difference. I've read all the forums but it seems like everybody doesn't have an exact conclusion to the issue. I'll swap reluctor wheels if I have to but I need to know before the motor goes in the truck lol. Thanks for the reply!

·
2 timer
1,437 Posts
I know I might not be much help. I'm already saving to do an engine swap (unless it gets traded first, after I win the lottery!) when the engine fails for the VVT issues the engine wants to think it has.

There are other who'll be more knowledgeable about this than I, but I read a lot. Good luck!

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
Crank shaft sensor is a different tooth reluctor. Also you need to swap the exhaust cam gear/actuator and the sensor.

08+ went to a new PCM set-up and a lot of the electronics changed. 07' is unique and 04'-06' are the same minus the fuel system which switched to returnless in 06'.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I'm understanding you correctly on the crankshaft reflector wheel setup i will have to open both motors and swap them correct? I figured i would have to anyway. Next question I'm assuming the reflector wheel is on the crank using a key way? Or did GM design them into the crank? Thanks a lot your info is highly appreciated!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the relutor wheels on the crank are the same and i can just swap the sensors themselves? And yeah guess ill have to swap the cam gears.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts