Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I’ve read all of the posts and write ups on modifying an 08 3.7 to replace the 3.5 in my sons 2005 colorado. (Replace cam gear, drill hole for added cam sensor, swap fuel rails, etc.)

So, I know what’s involved to make the 08 3.7 work with the 05 3.5 harness and ecu, what I can’t find is what has to be swapped out if I don’t want to modify the 3.7 and just put it in the truck. I’ve read that the 05 has two fuel lines (return system vs no return on the 08)

i have a complete, low mile 08 3.7, trans and complete harness. What else would need to be swapped out to make it work in the 05 truck? I’m thinking the ecu, the fuel pump and I would have to add the fuel pressure module(s) that the 08 has. Anything else?

My way of thinking is that I’d rather add those extra parts instead of cracking open this hood 3.7 and modifying it to make it work.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Welcome to the Nation.

I'm pretty sure that the 08 does not have the Puel Pump Control Module (FPCM). I think you could use the 05 fuel rail on the 08 and not have to modify the fuel system. The biggest issue will be the ECM/PCM. On the 05, the PCM controls the transmission. The 08 configuration has an ECM and a separate Transmission Control Module (TCM). It might be possible to add a bracket and TCM, if using the 08 ECM. There might be some communication problems with the other 05 modules, such as the EBCM and the BCM.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts