Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help sorting out some mixed information I'm finding. I'm pulling a C0035 code. What I want to know is, can you change the ABS sensor without replacing the whole hub/bearing assembly? I know you can but the sensor separately.

Chiltons/Haynes is saying that, "2008 and earlier, the sensors are integral with each front hub and wheel bearing assembly. If it becomes damaged, the entire hub/wheel bearing assembly must be replace. On2009 and later, the sensor are mounted to the steering knuckles."

Some of the threads here or contradicting this. So which is it?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've heard that as well. If you can't get any concrete info, I'd just go ahead and replace the whole assembly. I just put timkens on both sides over the last week. Took me 2.5 hours yesterday start to finish to do the passenger side.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I need some help sorting out some mixed information I'm finding. I'm pulling a C0035 code. What I want to know is, can you change the ABS sensor without replacing the whole hub/bearing assembly? I know you can but the sensor separately.

Chiltons/Haynes is saying that, "2008 and earlier, the sensors are integral with each front hub and wheel bearing assembly. If it becomes damaged, the entire hub/wheel bearing assembly must be replace. On2009 and later, the sensor are mounted to the steering knuckles."

Thanks in advance.
You can replace the sensor independently from the bearing. You will need to make a determination as to what is best for you . First , has this bearing ever been replaced before? If not , that bearing assembly is 12 years old and I would replace it. If you replace only the sensor you have to remove the bearing , separate the sensor from bearing , install the new sensor , onto the 12 year old bearing , then install it to knuckle. It will not be easy to install the new sensor onto an old bearing due to corrosion .Save yourself all that BS and just install a new quality , Timken , assembly and be done with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Thanks in advance.

Do you have 2x4 or 4x4?
I need to do my passenger side ABS, but apparently I have to take off the 33mm axel bolt to get at the sensor? Anyone know about this for a 4x4 ‘08 crew cab?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have 2x4 or 4x4?
I need to do my passenger side ABS, but apparently I have to take off the 33mm axel bolt to get at the sensor? Anyone know about this for a 4x4 ‘08 crew cab?
I have 4X4. And yes you will have to take the hub off to get to the sensor.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Do you have 2x4 or 4x4?
For the ultimate guide on how to replace a bearing assembly on a 4 X4 search YouTube .
Chevy Colorado : Hub replacement / Bursott 1 . It's broken down into 3 segments and is the best how to I have seen . After watching it all your questions will be answered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts