Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am doing a V8 swap in my 2009 Colorado and have hit a snag. I am swapping a 2009 2.9L I4 LLV for a 2009 5.3L V8 LH8. I also got my hands on a second trans, a 2009 4L60E from a 4/5 cylinder. I had a transmission shop rebuild it and convert it to an 8 cylinder trans.

Some months later, I'm finally putting them together and I've discovered that the mounting bolts don't line up. 6 of the top 7 bolts line up. The 2 bottom bolts do not line up. It's a different 5.3 bellhousing.

The starter seems to still fit, as does the inspection cover. The inspection cover doesn't cover the entire opening though.

I've dug as deep into the internet as I can and I can't seem to find a part number for this bell housing. Based on some pictures of replacements from RockAuto, I think it is 24236706. This part doesn't seem to exist though.

Pictures:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZHwgz2rrRE73CQzS7

Could someone with a stock 09-12 5.3 (LH8/LH9) do me a huge favor and check the part number on their bellhousing (if it is even accessible)? It should be cast into the starter bump out. If not, does anyone have any pics from a swap that might help confirm this information?

I can bring it back to the shop, but it'll add time to the build and I'm not sure they can even get their hands on it. Does anyone know if it would it be safe to run this bellhousing as it is?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Best,
Josh

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
For some reason my replies aren't being posted. Here are the updates from my last two:

I called my local Chevy dealer and asked if they had a part number for the 2009 5.3 bellhousing. They gave me a part number which they assured me was for the 5.3. It wasn't the right part number, but it did lead me to a page with the correct part number. It was just listed as "housing" and had PN 24236707. GMPartsDirect has the part, but doesn't list any compatible vehicles.

Ordered the part and swapped it out (was just 8 Mortorq bolts). It bolts up perfectly. Strangest thing though is that the part number stamped into the bellhousing is 24236706.

I'll follow up with some pictures. Hopes this helps someone out! (and that it actually goes through this time)

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are some pictures of the swap:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cEghiBC5j5J8wtW4A

The bellhousing with the bump-out beneath the starter is the wrong one. The correct one also has one less bolt and the bottom two bolts are closer together. Both of these bottom bolts are the shorter 45mm bolts. The others are 50mm. Gmpartsgiant has the details on the bolt dimensions

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi bro. Sorry to leave you hanging on this. I know it is a year old. I have the configuration you are trying to make. Let me know if you need anything, or even the last 8 of my VIN to pull up stock 5.3L LH8 parts at your local dealer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts