Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Internet Troll
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I hit 18,250 on the odometer on my '12 Colorado on the way to work this morning. I've owned it now almost 6 months and it had 8250 miles when I purchased in in January. I figure when I've owned it 10 years (Had the '09 just shy of 12 years) it will still be a low mileage truck, provided I can get parts for it.
So far I'm really loving my decision to just buy it instead of replacing the engine and keep running the '09. I couldn't do the swap myself and the complete newer truck was half again more than the engine swap alone was going to cost me. I think the difference was worth it. Old truck was going to need additional work that the newer, lower mileage truck shouldn't need for a while.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Congrats! How uncanny, our situations are quite remarkably similar!

I went the "horizontal upgrade" route as well at the beginning of this year, found my 2012 at a Ford dealership in Ft. Worth and traded in my 2006 for it, haha. They were nearly identical to each other to boot.

I only have roughtly 62k on the clock on this 2nd Colly, I've finally gotten everything on her like I had on my old truck setup along with some long-awaited improvements.(namely a nice sound system with touch-screen dash unit and a powered subwoofer)

It's certainly nice to be rid finally of that infernal P0017 code that plagued my old 2006, even if it is only for 6-7 years possibly.

I estimate I'll have to deal with it again in the future, but not till I've rolled over 150,000 miles at least on my 2012 truck probably, if my 2006 truck experience is any indication.

Yea, upgrades to the 2006 would have been a real money sink... The "horizontal upgrade" will probably be cheaper and far, far less of a headache in the long run.

I too am glad I found this truck and even got everything on it I always wanted on my old truck. (nicer ebony interior, 2.9L engine, bigger, better brakes)

Here's to our further good fortune with our 2nd, 1st gen trucks Unfettered! raises drink

Reactions: Unfettered

·
Registered
68 Posts
Man I'm jealous of all your low mileage trucks! I bought mine 9 years ago with 65k on the clock. The P0017 was already tripped when I bought it and is still there today at 156k. I went the opposite direction as you guys and decided to power through with the upgrades. I'm about 10k in mods but that's a full new suspension with 09+ brakes/belltech everything, all new paint, h3 seats and Colorado console, ECM tune, efan, exhaust, stereo, etc. I only wish I had a black/luxury package interior but with enough money and elbow grease anything is possible! It's nice to see first gens getting all the love, I hope there's enough survivors to keep getting parts for the next decade at least

·
Internet Troll
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SpikeG: The '09 had the P0017 for the last 7 years and 100,000+ miles. Engine was still doing OK, but after getting the PCV system fixed at a GMC dealer, it leaked oil to the tune of a quart every 1,100 miles. I think in my case, since I'm no longer physically able to do the work myself, nor do I have the place to do the work, I made the best choice for me.

Colly_shifter: My truck AFAIK is still working for its new owner. SIL sold it for a better price than I thought I'd ever see from it. Funny thing was, I wasn't looking at a new truck at the time, it happened to come across as one of those ad feeds that happen due to something you search for. When I did a specific, I had found about a dozen all about the same as mine, Dark Navy single cabs with about 3X the miles this mine had for a bit more money within 300 miles of my area. It was too good of a deal to pass on. I also think the seats are more comfortable in the '12 as there was a change to the seats made starting with the '11 models.
And Likewise, lifts glass, to continued success to our 2nd first gen trucks.

Reactions: Colly_shifter

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
With the understanding and insight from both message boards, these trucks can really last a long time.
Hopefully one day we'll all be a part of the survivors club :)
Congrats and keep us updated

1 - 5 of 5 Posts