Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find a constant 12v source near the bed? I'm trying to wire up some LEDs in my tool box and I don't want to have to run wires from the cab or under the hood. Thanks!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I ran from under the hood, I don't think there's anything back there.

·
Formerly Metal_EMT
1,880 Posts
Use wire loom and go along the top of the framerail on the driver side. There's a harness there you can run your cabling along. Then it can come up right by the battery.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Use wire loom and go along the top of the framerail on the driver side. There's a harness there you can run your cabling along. Then it can come up right by the battery.
Good advice, this is really your only option.
Don't fail to include a fuse at the battery.

·
Premium Member
2,498 Posts
I would advise running heavier gauge wire than you think you need, once you have power back in the bed you'll come up with more ideas on how to use it.

I installed a fuse box under the bedrail and it has worked great for two years (I do have a folding tonneau, but it has been fine in the rain).

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips guys! I ended up running power wire inside the factory wire loom along the top of the frame rail. I put 1 18" led strip shining into the bed and 1 inside the toolbox, with a momentary push button so when I open the toolbox, the lights come on, and close it to turn them off.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys! I ended up running power wire inside the factory wire loom along the top of the frame rail. I put 1 18" led strip shining into the bed and 1 inside the toolbox, with a momentary push button so when I open the toolbox, the lights come on, and close it to turn them off.

Neat thinking !!! :salute:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts