Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking a purchasing a set of 17" raceline rims for my truck.

17 inch Black Raceline Raptor 981 Wheels Rims Chevrolet Silverado Tahoe 6x5 5 | eBay

The stock tires are 225/45/15 I believe. I was wondering if I should stay with a 225/70/17 tire size for the rims to stay close to stock tire size or go with 245/70/17. I saw a few pictures of 245/70 on 17" rims and they look a little better than a 225. 225 seems to look a bit small to me?

My truck is 04 Colorado crew cab z85 lt. it is on stock suspension.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I am looking a purchasing a set of 17" raceline rims for my truck.

17 inch Black Raceline Raptor 981 Wheels Rims Chevrolet Silverado Tahoe 6x5 5 | eBay

The stock tires are 225/45/15 I believe. I was wondering if I should stay with a 225/70/17 tire size for the rims to stay close to stock tire size or go with 245/70/17. I saw a few pictures of 245/70 on 17" rims and they look a little better than a 225. 225 seems to look a bit small to me?

My truck is 04 Colorado crew cab z85 lt. it is on stock suspension.
225/70-17 is not even close to stock 225/45-15. (6.5" taller/shorter)

The tire you have now is not a stock size. Look at the manufacturer sticker on the driver door jamb.

This should help... (but probably go with a 65 series for a 17" wheel)
http://www.355nation.net/forum/wheels-tires/109921-2009-16-rim-tire-fit-question.html

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yeah, your numbers sound weird. Check them.

Anyway, stock sized tires suggest a 6-7" wide wheel. Those racelines are 9". Depending what size tire you go with, you could end up stretching them a bit much, resulting in uneven tread wear.

Something to consider.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Oh, I didn't check the link.

Don't run a 9" wide wheel with a 225-245 tire. I have 265 wide tires and the 8.5" wheel is too wide.

You are going to have to run a wide tire and low profile to fit that 17x9 wheel on a stock height 2wd truck. See the link I listed above....notice he rubs with a 245wide tire. You need to have an offset that is more shallow than him, and a tire that is at least 265 wide. In other words, it's going to be tough to get the proper size tire for that wheel to fit on your truck without a consequence.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
The tire manufacturer will have wheel width specified on their web sites.

Find the tire size you want to purchase then check the wheel width. It will be a range.
For instance, a 265 tire on a 16" wheel could specify a range of 7.0 - 8.0.
Different sidewall profiles will vary the values of the thickness. A lower profile may have a wider option available so the sidewall stays relatively square, for example.

So yeah, first select the desire tire size and style. The look for wheels to fit that. And finally make sure the selected wheel has offsets available to fit the truck for the appearance you're after. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The seller just told me the tire recommended for the wheels is 255/60/17. And rim would be 2" out further than stock. I'm not sure if they would fit and or rub on my truck. Sounds like it would look stanced.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Were the rims 9" wide, I forgot?

Also, I will still argue that the size of tire width for a wheel is related to the sidewall thickness.

My 265/75i too narrow for the 8.5" wheel according to Goodyear. So with what you say, the tire can be skinnier for a wider wheel. That's why it's tire dependent.

Go back and do what I suggested, find a tire you want and look for the wheel specs, not the other way around.

I look at 3 tires just now and the max is 9" wide for 255/60.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts