Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wheels are American Racing Longboards, model AR-599. They are a 2 piece forged billet wheel and are long discontinued, date of manufacture from the sticker on the wheel is 1/19/01. They're 3 years older than the truck. :lol:

Size is 18x10" +38.

Verdict? They fit and they don't look like they stick out past the flares at all. No rubbing swaybar at full lock, miles of clearance around lower control arm, it's tight around the upper control arm with suspension at full droop. I had 1"+ between the wheel itself and the swaybar, will probably be .5-1" when the hub bores are machined and the wheel is flat against the hub.

I'm searching for a good machine shop that can open up the hub bores, once that's done I'll re-test fit them with the truck on stands and at ride height so I can measure to see what diameter/width tire will work best. Preliminary guess is that I'll be running either a staggered 275/35/18 F, 295/35/18 R, or 285/35/18 all around. Depends on what I find for what price. I still think the tire will rub the stock swaybar, I've heard the Belltech gives a little more clearance but won't know until mine gets here. I can live with minor rubbing at full lock, not many vehicles with 2"+ wider rubber are going to get away without rubbing at least some.

Blah blah blah, on with the pics...

SEXY TIME!

Yeah, they really are that wide.

Rear. This really isn't a proper test fit for the rear since the axle is not level/parallel with the frame. The rear may end up needing a small 5-10mm spacer which isn't really a big deal.

Front, w/wheel at full lock, suspension at full droop. After the hub bores are enlarged to the proper size I'll test fit again with the suspension at ride height. I should have my new sway bar in by then, so I'll know if it will give any more room, as you can see there is plenty of clearance for the wheel itself. It is close to the brake line on the upper control arm in this picture, but considering this is with suspension at full droop with wheel at full lock I don't think it will be a problem. I will make note of it and be sure to check it once the wheels are mounted properly.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
I like those man. They look small with out a drop and tires... :kiki:

(I got some 6 lug spacers if you end up needing them...)

Don't you work at a machine shop? You really should just do it yourself with the router trick...

·
Registered
958 Posts
your silly....haha thats dope hope it works...im almost positive those are the wheels i wanted back in the day for my s10...not so big obv but those are sweet...me like

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Those are going to look great brakenit!

Thanks for the info as well bro Greatly appreciated!

I am sure he bought them used cause he said they are not bored out yet.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like those man. They look small with out a drop and tires... :kiki:

(I got some 6 lug spacers if you end up needing them...)

Don't you work at a machine shop? You really should just do it yourself with the router trick...
The truck will be dropped, that's with the suspension hanging as well so it makes it look worse.

This is a $2000 set of wheels that I can never replace, granted I only paid $425 for them but given the circumstances there is NO FUCKING WAY I will take a router to these wheels :lol:

I do work at a machine shop. We're a production machine shop though with only 1 manual machine that would be adequate for doing that kind of job. I'd have to take off the double vice setup that is currently on it, machine all 4 wheels, and re-setup the machine. I don't think they'd let me take up that much time on it, so I'll let someone else do it for me.

sweetness....did you buy them used...or were they leftover stock??? I like em :thumbup:
They were left-over display models, I got them off of eBay for $325 BIN and $100 shipping. :naughty:

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
The only thing that catches my eye is the hose/pipe in the last picture. Looks like it could hit the rim or tire when you get them mounted.

Otherwise it looks sweet.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a fucking deal right there. :yup:

Yeah, that's why I won't mind paying to have the hub bores done by a machine shop. :lol:

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The only thing that catches my eye is the hose/pipe in the last picture. Looks like it could hit the rim or tire when you get them mounted.

Otherwise it looks sweet.
I made note of that in the description that's above the picture. :D

I don't think it will be an issue when the suspension is at ride height, that picture is at full droop w/wheel at full lock which is the closest it will ever be and it will likely never see that in the real world. I will check it thoroughly when I test fit them again after the hub bores are machined, that's the brake hose and I don't want to rub through it. :lol:

Edit: I'm wrong, it's the wire for the wheel speed sensor that goes to the back of the hub. Since that's the case I'm concerned about it a little less. I should be able to easily reroute that if need be.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SWEET...tires ar going to cost more than the rims :lol:
Yeah, I'm looking and the 'cheap' tires that are ~$150 each. :ugh: :lol:

It will be worth it in the end.

Get them on!
Give me time! They just showed up 3 hours ago. :lol: It's like 25 degrees outside, so they're not going on for good until it warms up. Probably about 5-6 weeks I would guess. :lol:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Those are gonna be sick man. If you put a nice fat tire on em, at least in the back, they're gonna look really mean. I say you just roll them with no tires for a while, instant drop. lol jk. Can't wait to see them with tires mounted.

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
looks good so I guess you'll be railing on railroad tracks huh ;-)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts