Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dont let the Nation die
2005 GMC Canyon z71 SLE 4x4 3.5L
15,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got the car. Jus cant drive it till i pay it off and get the title and put tags on it. Not a bad deal tho, gives me more time to get it fully road worthy. Its driveable now, but now i can slowly work on it and clean it up.

Motor is the orignal 302 with the original 4spd tranny. Motor was recently rebuilt with a mild cam, Holley Street Avenger series 670 carb, Weiand manifold, headers, and stright pipes out the sides. Its Fast and Loud :kiki:

"V8 KC" :)

Updates will probably be slow, as funds are low. But i'll keep y'all updated.

·
Registered
402 Posts
"World's fastest Maverick!" I remember those coming-out. The Mustang people got all-hitchy about it being called a "King Cobra." As a 'Mustang II' it was just a Maverick/Comet retread. Still, coming w/the V8 it has potential. Like the V8 Monza Chevys, a lotta motor in a small body. The EPA strangulation on tuning then didn't give you much room to do anything to them.

I always thought the Maverick had nice proportions. Is it a 7.9" rear or an 8.8"? SROD cast-iron Mexican 4-speed? Those were not very-good gearboxes, I had a 1982 Mustang GT that had one of them in it, best thing I ever did was to swap-out the SROD for a Borg-Warner T5 5-speed, pretty-straightforward, and so-much more fun to use! I snapped-off the 7.9" pinion gearshaft flush w/the front of the pumpkin housing on I-95 downshifting (I swapped in an 8.8" limited slip from a newer Fox-body), and the SROD just kept getting worse and worse until I did the T-5 swap.

The body looks like no rust, a good find, if that, and pretty-straight. Looks like a fun project, go embarass some ricers when you're on the road.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Seems like everybody dislikes that era of Mustang. I like 'em, they're..........quirky!!

Best of luck in the restoration. :thumbup:

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx. Not planning a full resto on it. Wanna go more a custom route. Eventually get it set up for more auto-x track use. Tear up these back country mountain roads.

One idea, i found while on a M2 forum, get the rear axle from a newer Exploder. Might have to narro it a tad, but 5lug and thro a Posi in it. And maybe 4link that with coilovers.

Till then jus some small stuff. Ebrake doesnt work. Straighten out the seat belts, i've got the whole set out of the Grand Am still if needed. Clean it up under hood. SeaFoam (maybe) and oil change. Got the CD player i had in the GranDam. TTop weather stripping is a big one, car is under a tarp till i can squeeze into the garage.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice. Would take a bit of work to make em fit tho

·
Registered
402 Posts
Drill-out the spot welds, remove/replace the panel. I think the Comet's chrome round emblem may have been the fuel filler, so that would be a dummy.

Mercurys had a more-vibrant color palette.

Attachments

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Currently trying to learn what i can about this manifold. Its an odd ball mix of stuff, Weiand manifold, Holley carb, Edlebrok air cleaner. Lol.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,474 Posts
Boy does this bring back memories, my uncle used to have a black one. I was very little when he passed but boy do I remember his car. Very cool man, you don't ever see these anymore.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Youre not kidding. This probably the only M2 i remember seeing,ever. Lol

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I didn't know those came with a 302. I guess because I never knew they had a Cobra version of that one. A friend while growing up, his dad was all ford, and liked Mustangs. They had one of those (non Cobra) and my friend eventually owned it for a while.

I"m looking at the photos and see a V8 in a small car and you can still see the ground below it. So clean, simple and can be powerful.

Looking forward to this thread evolving.

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
I honestly hated it...

Never really knew anything about it, but to me, the styling is terrible. No way that thing could look good....

Then I saw this photo:

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats a nice one for sure, Boyd.

Ive learnd alot about these during the past few months. They had three motors, turbo4, v6, and the 302. And a few different trim levels, including the Cobra2 and the King Cobra

·
Registered
607 Posts
I honestly hated it...

Never really knew anything about it, but to me, the styling is terrible. No way that thing could look good....

Then I saw this photo:

Them BBS RS make anything look good. I'm on the market right now for a set of them for my E30 M3.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
Nice, there is a lot you can do with mustang II's. My mom bought a 75' with a 4 banger new and after 3 engine failures my dad put the drivetrain out of a mid 80's cobra in it and my mom daily drove it 1 hour each way to work and had to fill up every morning. My dad still has it in his barn and it's been there since about 86', I've been trying to get him to pull it out for me for years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts