Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my truck smoked the other day and it looks like an intake manifold gasket leak. I quickly looked at Alldata and it says it’s about 4.5 hour job. Have to remove the TB, batt and batt box, alternator, serpentine belt, driver side wheel and wheel well cover. All so you get access to the handful of bolts on the manifold. Looks like I’ll have to bring a lunch to the shop to complete this replacement.

For anyone who has done this before, do you have tips, tricks, what to watch out for, lessons learned for this?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well when i had to replace my starter on my 05 Colorado i had to remove the manifold to gain access. I did not touch the alternator and serpentine belt to get this done though. You will have to remove the wheel well cover to gain access to the a few of the bolts underneath the manifold. What really helped me out a lot was some swivel sockets like these and some extensions. As for the battery and battery box i removed them just get to a better angle on some of the bolts.

This guide here talks about removing the manifold among a few other things. Look for the section that says Intake Manifold removal, that should give you an idea of some of the steps you will have to follow in order to get the job. Carefull with the plastic clips that hold the wire loom and fuel lines as they tend to be brittle from age and break very easily. Best of luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As it turned out, all the bolts were totally loose. Tightened all of them up and truck runs great now. We'll see if that is the final fix.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,286 Posts
When I did my valve cover and intake gaskets......... 5 out 9 were finger tight at best.

If you remove the intake manifold.......remove the stupid fucking cover and foam insulation ....... it took me 15 minutes to reinstall the intake manifold with the gained visibility and clearances

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your just checking/tightening bolts, should be able to only remove battery and box. Part of the process to remove the intake manifold is to remove driver's tire and wheel well cover, but that's only so you can get to the bottom bolt to remove the alternator. Might be able to get to the first manifold bolt behind the alternator using a universal joint and playing with different lengths of socket extensions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Could the bolts loosening up cause a vibration?

Although mainly when cold, my truck has developed a rather prominent vibration between 1100 and 1500rpm from the drivers side. I've also noticed my idle has dropped lower than usual which is also causing a vibration.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,286 Posts
@Sync

They could, but if the bolts were that loose, you'd probably have a CEL from a misfire.

I'd also recommend taking a look at the motor mounts

·
Registered
1 Posts
As it turned out, all the bolts were totally loose. Tightened all of them up and truck runs great now. We'll see if that is the final fix.
This was my issue as well. I bought the truck used and was chasing a lean code forever. All the intake manifold bolts were loose. I'm going to replace the intake manifold and manifold gasket. Its running better but I'm going to have to take things off to tighten them more, there were some I couldnt easily get to. Id rather be safe and just order all new parts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There's a metal plate that bolts between the manifold and the engine block, that the oil dipstick and fuel lines attach to, as well as a bunch of the wiring harness. That itself is a PITA to get out of the way to get at the manifold bolts. I removed the plate and never put it back - with the wheel well liner removed, I can almost see all of the manifold bolts. I might be wrong, but there's a bolt behind the alternator that I believe requires unbolting the alternator to get to - I've never tried without removing the alternator.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts