Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
The engine is in and running. The only thing that needed to be swapped was the fuel rail. I used the exhaust from the 2.8l. The project is not done because I still need to do the tuning. Does anyone know if they used the same computer for the 07 as they did for the 2.8l motors?
Also of note, the injectors for 2.9l have a different part number than the 2.8l motor but they are the same flow rate (I have an ASNU injector flow bench) so if someone was in need of injectors they may be able to use injectors from the earlier years in the later motors.
This was the easiest engine install I have ever done and I cannot wait to get this completed and on the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have HP tuners. I was hoping I could make it super easy and just flash the computer with the 2.9l tune. I am going to give the tune a try myself before I send it out to someone but thank you for the reference.

·
Spoolin Jr. Survivor
6,613 Posts
I have HP tuners. I was hoping I could make it super easy and just flash the computer with the 2.9l tune. I am going to give the tune a try myself before I send it out to someone but thank you for the reference.
Thank you! I honestly think you're the first person to do one of these swaps along with loading the proper base tune rather than run the smaller displacement tune. Cam profiles and phazing are much different between the two so the 2.8 tune on a 2.9 would mean a short life for that 2.9.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you! I honestly think you're the first person to do one of these swaps along with loading the proper base tune rather than run the smaller displacement tune. Cam profiles and phazing are much different between the two so the 2.8 tune on a 2.9 would mean a short life for that 2.9.
Thanks, I am not on here much but I will keep you posted once I get the truck finished. I have a few other things to buy before the truck is put on the road.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
More likely the body will rot before the engine dies.
Haha well the engine needs a revalve.... Can't get the p0302 to go away even after the dealership replaced head only 27k miles ago. Local place will do the revalve it for $600 off the truck... Or should I drop in the 2.9l?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the 2.9l working just fine. I used the 2007 motor. Swapped the fuel rail and it was basically a bolt in and tune. Runs very well for me. I have 3000 miles on the swap. I got the motor for $574 from LKQ in the bronx. The motor had 64000 miles on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the 2.9l working just fine. I used the 2007 motor. Swapped the fuel rail and it was basically a bolt in and tune. Runs very well for me. I have 3000 miles on the swap. I got the motor for $574 from LKQ in the bronx. The motor had 64000 miles on it.
good afternoon i put 2.9 engine in a
chevy 2005 2.8 what needs to change to work? the engine doesn't want to start

·
Registered
8 Posts
good afternoon i put 2.9 engine in a
chevy 2005 2.8 what needs to change to work? the engine doesn't want to start
help me please

·
Registered
8 Posts
my mechanic put the engine 2.9 2007 in my colorado 2005 the engine turns more does not work
Help me please

·
Super Moderator
3,618 Posts
The 2005 has a return style fuel system

The 2007 is returnless

You'll need to use the fuel rail from the 2005 2.8l and put it on the 2007 2.9l

41 - 56 of 56 Posts