Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 2.8 is toast, and I'm wanting to upgrade now. I don't want to get into a huge v8 swap project, but it would be nice to get a little more power than the 2.8 has to offer. My question is what would cheaper and less of an ass pain throwin in a 3.5, or doing the 3.7??

Also new to the site so if this thread already exists and you have a link that works too. Thanks.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,474 Posts
They are about the same in price and work. It's just a matter of what you can find for the right price.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I'd go with the 3.7 if you can find one. Less chance of the bad head and more power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was leaning 3.7 but I couldn't find any 2.8 to 3.7 threads. Mostly concerned with the electrical bull. Not my thing. Not of fan of all these sensors and wiring. My other truck is a 91 F350 easy peasy lol

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
I have no experience with any of this, but I have read that there are some model years of the 3.7 that are more compatible with earlier model 355 electrical systems.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
i believe you'll need a fuel rail from a 3.5 since your 05 2.8 has the return type fuel system and the 3.7 does not.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
He shouldn't need much more. Fuel rail. Harness. If your a 5 speed and 4x4 I have a harness that will work. If you get an 08 engine you'll have to drill the head for the cam sensor like me and kmac did. Not hard at all. If it doesn't come with a header you'll need one for a 3.5 or 3.7. All the accessories if say would swap over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah that's what I was worried about, otherwise if anyone knows where I can get a used 2.8 at a decent price or maybe just the head. I don't have heat in my barn so the least amount of time for the project is best were at -1F temps and close to a foot of by the end of tonight here in the mitten lol

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I have a 06 3.5 sitting in my building I just pulled out of my truck. Where's Freeport?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much are you looking to get rid of that 3.5 for? She just hit 200K so if I build its an extreme budget build do to the current resale value of not very much haha. N nah Freeport, Michigan. We're getting hammered with a nice winter storm at the moment.

·
Registered
835 Posts
How much are you looking to get rid of that 3.5 for? She just hit 200K so if I build its an extreme budget build do to the current resale value of not very much haha. N nah Freeport, Michigan. We're getting hammered with a nice winter storm at the moment.
No kidding, I'm from Lake Odessa.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Well there a Freeport Ny and other places. I'd like about 300 for it. It ran when I pulled it. I took a video. Didn't burn oil. Next time I go home around valentine I could bring it back north and meet you somewhere. We'd just have to figure out how to swap it in trucks unless I unbolted the head lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts