Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one every had to replace this tube. I just had a replacement motor installed and my warranty company said it was not covered even though it was on the motor they sent the dealership. The dealership want $225 to install this. I was wondering how hard this is to do on my own? Any advice from any one would be very helpful. I would love to be able to check my oil as I cannot not since there is a big kink in the top of the tube.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Well tell the warrenty company to blow it out their ass......they need to settle that with the shop that installed the motor.

It should have been transferred over from the old motor......as they did with the intake manifold, ps pump, alternator and so on.

Someone is trying to pull a slick willy on you......don't fall for it

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
The dipstick tube is just inserted in the hole in the block and retained by one bolt. Should be an easy job. The tube is part number 12590590 and the MSRP (Dealer) price is $19.27. Make sure to move the o-ring from the old tube to the new one.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
^^ well done with the assist

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice I fill it will be an easy fix. [email protected]#I know the warranty company being a low budget one is trying to pull a fast one and the dealership on not wanting to make it right either really but I already had to have them re powder coat 2 rims that were scratched while at there. [email protected]#I guess I will just do it my self next time I change the oil so I know it was done right!

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Make there is a plug in there......

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
The shop should be the one working with the warranty company on the repairs. Now the customer.

They can just leave the dipstick off. Then when it splashes out all the oil you can make a new claim for a new engine because this one seized. Whey they ask you if you checked the oil regularly, just tell them you were not able to because the warranty didn't allow for that provision with the engine swap.

Seriously, who argues over a dipstick. haha that's so silly, and to the tune of $200 in labor?

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
I think that he has a dipstick. From his OP: "I would love to be able to check my oil as I cannot not since there is a big kink in the top of the tube".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the Dip Stick tube and I hope to have it done this week end. $21 with tax and the Dealer ship wanted $250 for part and instalation.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Oil Level Indicator Tube Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the fuel line clip (1) from the oil level indicator bracket.
  2. Pull the oil level indicator from the tube.
  3. Remove the oil level indicator tube bolt.
  4. Remove the oil level indicator tube from the engine oil pan.

Installation Procedure

1. Lightly lubricate the O-ring seal with clean engine oil.
  2. Install the oil level indicator tube into the engine oil pan.
  3. Install the oil level indicator tube bolt and tighten to 10 N·m (89 lb in).
  4. Install the oil level indicator into the tube.
  5. Install the fuel line clip (1) to the oil level indicator bracket.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info. That is what I was looking for online now. That confirms it should be easy and well worth saving $230 for labor at the dearlship!

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Usually they pull out easily but if it's rusted in, start by spraying with some penetrating oil. I'm a big fan of Kano's Aerokroil, but PB blaster work well too.

One trick is to bend a hook in the end of a stiff piece of wire and pass it down the tube and catch the hook on bottom of the tube. Grab with a pair of vise grips and give it a good yank.

I've also seen guys use a #5 screw extractor or a left handed drill bit to twist them out.

Another option is to push it into the block and then pull the oil pan to retrieve the piece.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
I made the mistake of buying an extended warranty from a warranty company once.....as soon as the claims I filed equaled the amount I paid for the policy they refused to approve any more repairs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok I got some PB and that worked to help me get the old tube out and then came the easy part so I thought. I tried for every last night to get the tube feed back in to the oil pan and around all the gas lines and struck out. I have a felling this is not a 1 man job. But I refuse to pay the dealership $200 to install it. So I will have another go at it tonight. Why is the easy stuff so difficult some times?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Remove the drivers side front wheel and wheel liner.

feed it down and have a buddy guide it into its new home.

Sometimes its easier to take other shit apart to get something done. You should spend more time taking the wheel off then the installation.

I have found anything on the drivers side of the motor is much easier by doing this.

Good luck @Panicing67

1 - 20 of 30 Posts