Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys? I have a 2007 with a 2.9l/5 speed. I been thinking about just doing a 5.3/auto into it, but also thought about doing the 3.7/auto.

The thing about doing the 5.3/auto...I know where to get everything that is needed to do the swap. But not so sure on where to get everything to do the 3.7/auto. Was thinking that I might be able to go to a pull-a-part place and pick one up that has been totaled or whatever. But I figure I would end up having to go to a dealership and ordering the harness from them. The harness and computer are the only things that I'm not sure about obtaining or how much it would cost. The harness for the 5.3 from CPwire is gonna cost about $1300 or so.

I wanna do the 5.3/auto really bad, but also thinking about just undergoing the manual trans to auto swap.

Opinions/suggestions please?

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
3.7l engine, exhaust manifold or header, the harness from the 3.7l (when i got another engine it had the harness already), 3.7l computer (manual version). thats all i can really think of

·
microwave
5,085 Posts
I've got a 3.7 from my colorado with only 13k on it. Everything included, all accessories, harness and everything. If you are interested, PM me.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^^PM sent

·
Member's Technical crew
12,060 Posts
Derek, the 5.3 swap is gonna be much more intense...but more worth it in the end. Depending on what your wanting to do. The 3.7 will swap in no problem with mounting points, but you will need the ecm, harness, and of course teh trans you want to run. ALL of this can be gotten from the wrecked truck brother. Only thing your really gonna have to figure out, is if the 5.3 has the same mounts or what all is entailed in fabbing mounts for the engine. And how hard it would be to wire in the harness for teh 5.3. I have been told over and over that a 3.5 to 3.7 is a direct swap with the exception of the fuel rail, but when it comes to the fourbanger...I am at a loss. You will need to figure out IF you can use your wiring for the 3.7 or not as well.

1) Will the wiring of a fourbanger work for a 3.7?
2) Does the 5.3 use the same mount points? If not how hard to fab up?
3) And if you choose the 5.3 over the 3.7, will the harness of the fourbanger need to be removed and the 5.3 harness used, or can it be MADE to work as well..
4) You MAY also need the info on the fuel pump if the one from teh fourbanger is the same used in the v8 model.
5) Did both trucks come from factory with the same rear ends? I dunno if the v8's got a different rear or not...

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
He needs custom engine mounts from current performance and a whole list of other stuff for a v8 swap.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the 3.7 is lookin to be a better swap for what I am wanting. The 5.3 would be worth it in the end but I have priced building a 5.3 with all parts needed many times and its a very expensive swap. The 3.7 would be a much easier, direct swap with easy parts to obtain.

As stated before all I need is the motor, trans, harness, computer, and manifold.

Thanks for the info Will....as always your right on top of things with great things for me to think about for projects! I am wanting to do the 3.7 vs the 5.3 because its cheaper and will still make my truck fun to drive. I dont need a 5.3 in the truck man....cuz that would be a never ending project.

·
Internet Troll
1,339 Posts
Having the truck is a never ending project
No money for mods ends the project real quick....LOL

But you are correct. I have plans for my little truck...someday....

If you do the 2.9-3.7 swap, post your progress. While I might never do it, it still is something I'd consider when my engine does die..35 years from now...LOL

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Having the truck is a never ending project
You have an excellent point....its just if I do the 5.3 Ill keep wanting more and more power and Ill have to do something different with the rear end cuz I'm not gonna have the whole one wheel wonder thing going on...and its definitely gonna be cammed, so its gonna need a stall. There are just so many things involved when putting in a 5.3.

The 3.7 is just a direct swap with very few modifications...if any other than the obvious!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a 2010 2.9/5 speed and looking into a 3.7 engine but want to keep the 5 speed. My truck is a base 2wd reg cab work truck so its light and im not worried about breaking the trans. I used to have a 3.5 auto 2005 colorado and was okay with the power of that ruck just want it in the new one.

What im thinking i would have to do is find the 3.7 motor and a 3.5/5 speed harness and computer to make everything work without engine lights and such. is that the case or can i with HP Tuners mix the 2.9/manual code with the 3.7/auto code? To create a running truck without CELs and such?

If there is a topic already laying this information out please let me know i have no problem reading and searching.

·
Registered
3 Posts
they have manuals in the newer trucks too.
Yes thats what i have but there has been no 5 cylinder manual trucks since the 3.7 came in. The information im looking for is what computer would be needed to run a 3.7 with a 5 speed in a 2010 truck.

·
Member's Technical crew
12,060 Posts
The thing you need to worry about is this...

IF the ECM sends a signal to the trans and if it gets a reply..If it get's a reply to teh ecm telling it that it is in the gear it wants it to be then your gonna have a harder time. You MAY be able to get that part tuned out. I dunno..you could try asking a tuner IF that part can be done, or even needs to be done. :shrug:

As far as going up in motor size, you will need the 3.7 of course, but I would think with that kind of swap, you will need the ecm as well. IF your an auto, then the only thing you would need I believe is the engine and ecm. BUT you will get more people looking at this, and better qualified people informing you of exactly what needs to be done if you would only start your own thread asking this info brother. Welcome to the site and make sure you post up a Hello in the new member's section.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts