Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello im new to this site and pretty new to working on my own vehicle so bare with me if i have some dumb questions. i want to put in a 2 inch body lift on my 05 crew cab canyon. i bought 2 inch pucks online and longer bolts through work and am going to make the brackets as i go ( i work at a metal shop). i downloaded the instructions for a 3 inch kit and it seems pretty straight forward but the only part im stuck on is the steering extension. ive been trying to find where to buy one but it looks like no one sells them outside kits. has anyone made there own some how or gotten around this issue? like is there anything wrong with welding in an extension on the intermidiate shaft ? or is this a no no.

thanks

·
Registered
362 Posts
Id say if your good welder and trust your work with your life weld on an extension as nobody makes on for a 2" bl, might call larry at suspension maxx and see if he can help you out, ive still got my body lift in a box, hadnt had time to put it on

·
Registered
992 Posts
Someone might be able to correct me on this but I have heard of people doing two things.

1. I could have swore that I have heard of someone not extending the steering for a small lift like 2inches. Obviously this could be unsafe and add stress but I think someone has done it

2. Try to contact someone with Performance accessories and inquire about buying just the steering extension, you could just lie and say yours broke or lost it in case you didn't like saying you just built your own. I have an awful memory and might be making up things but I believe I have heard of someone doing this as well and it maybe being around the 50-60 dollar range?

This is their number and here is their site in case you go this route. Worth a shot.
(928) 636-7080

Performance Accessories Contact Us

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya i was hoping to start installing it on friday and was going to see if it would bind and only extend it if it was needed. ill give a couple places a call and if i can get one for around 50 or 60 bucks ill order one of those. i was hoping to keep this as cheap as possible but i dont want to sacrifice safety for a couple bucks but i do trust my welding if they are too expensive.
a buddy at work suggested just cut the shaft and get a high strength pipe to go over itand extend it then drill some holes and bolt it. think that would be a better option so the heat from welding doesnt effect the strength of the rest of the shaft? i dont think the shaft takes a huge ammount of stress anyway.

its an auto so no issues there and i was assuming id have to extend the gas filler tube so no biggy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts