Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a new set of tires and I'm not sure what to get. I have 245/35/20 Hankook's right now, and I was pretty impressed with the overall treadwear, etc, but I want to explore other possibilities.

What are you guys running, what do you recommend?

Does anyone have experience with these:

Sumitomo HTR Z II

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I've been asking/talking to people on other forums about tires and I've heard mixed reviews about those Sumitomo's. They're cheap, but I've heard they tend to be noisy and don't last long. They're only a 220 treadwear tire so they're going to be pretty soft. :shrug:

The Kumho Ecsta SPT's aren't supposed to be too bad, and are about the same price. I've liked my Kumho Ecsta 712's, although they're discontinued. They're not very smooth when it's really cold, and take a few minutes of driving to warm up but they're not really meant for winter use and you wouldn't really need to worry about that anyway.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got Kumho Solaras's on my truck. They ride good and have pretty good treadlife. I dunno how much they cost. They were on my truck when I bought it. >.<

Sure, I may not have deuces on my truck, but I think they make them in that size.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've also heard good things about the Kumho's...I think I will look into them, thanks guys. :)

Keep the suggestions coming.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The hardness is the treadware. The higher the number, the harder the tread. So, for an example: Treadware 450 Traction A Temperature A

That would have a harder tread, therefore longer life.

If it's say: Treadware 200 Traction A Temperature A

That tread would be softer, and have a shorter life. But, with the lower the number, the more 'sticky' the tread is. So, if the treadware is 200, the tire would grip better at temperatures than a tire with a treadware rating of 450.

XP I know, I prolly sound like a nerd on this stuff. I worked at a lube shop that did tires too for a while, so I got pretty good with them.

Those Kumho's have a treadware of 320, traction AA, and temperature is A. So, they're a somewhat soft tread, but still have a fairly good treadlife.

·
CALI BOSS
6,312 Posts
There really isn't a hardness rating. There's the UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grade) which is typically a 3 digit number. The higher the number the better with 320-360 being the average. The higher the number the longer the tread wear will be. However, the rating is based on tires from the same manufacturer. For example, a 400 UTQG rating from BFG may wear longer or shorter than a tire of the same rating from another company.

I am currently running Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season tires that have a 420 UTQG and should last approximately 50k - 60k miles. I had Bridgestone RE960 tires before these that had a 400 UTQG and got to 26K miles. The tread wear was at about 50% but had to replace them due to bubbles in the sidewall.

BTW, my 420 UTQG Goodyears feel softer than my 400 UTQG Bridgestones and even softer yet than my Goodyear Eagle HPs which had a 340 UTQG rating.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
There really isn't a hardness rating. There's the UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grade) which is typically a 3 digit number. The higher the number the better with 320-360 being the average. The higher the number the longer the tread wear will be. However, the rating is based on tires from the same manufacturer. For example, a 400 UTQG rating from BFG may wear longer or shorter than a tire of the same rating from another company.

I am currently running Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season tires that have a 420 UTQG and should last approximately 50k - 60k miles. I had Bridgestone RE960 tires before these that had a 400 UTQG and got to 26K miles. The tread wear was at about 50% but had to replace them due to bubbles in the sidewall.

BTW, my 420 UTQG Goodyears feel softer than my 400 UTQG Bridgestones and even softer yet than my Goodyear Eagle HPs which had a 340 UTQG rating.

:yeahthat:

He explained it more better. :D

Traditionally though the lower the number the softer and stickier the tire will be, ultra high performance street tires can have tread wear ratings down in the low 100's and there are some DOT approved 'slicks' that are used mostly for autoX and track duty that are below 100.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yokohama EVS100 245/45/20 and am happy with them. Plus I love the tread pattern!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I'm leaning towards these, especially since I can get them locally for a cheaper price.

Kumho Ecsta SPT
I had those when I had 20"s. Decent tire I guess, One did come apart on me after only five months of use though. I don't usually reccommend Kumhos anymore. I'd stay away from Nankang too, terrible wear and performance in the rain.

Nitto makes a decent tire if you can find one in that size.

Bridgestone has a Potenza in that size, a really good street tire.

Or, if you want to get the ultimate tire for your $$, get the Michelin Pilot Sport. Michelin guarantees thier tires to pretty much double the lifespan of any other tire. I guess thats how they justify the price difference. If you call michelin and ask them if there are any cons to one of thier tires, they will tell you "We make the best quality tire, we do not produce a bad tire" Lol, I am serious too, they tell people that. They have a great rep though.

summer tires Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 245/35 R20

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
i have Khumo's on mine and they're alright. i'll probably go with Nitto tires when these wear out on me.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Chevy did you just pick Michelin over Nitto?

Nitto and Toyo are the top 2 on my list.

Go back and rethink what you posted.

Marc I just bought some Kumho Ecsta SPT 245/35R20 I've had them before never had any trouble decent tire and a good price.

J

·
0 Posts
i have michelin pilot sport tires on my 17's and i will never get michelin again. mine suck. i'm probably gonna go nankang :shrug:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Toyo Proxe.

Nothing but good things to say about them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts