Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 door 2004 with a 5 speed manual and the i4. I need a new clutch and trying to find out what transmission I have. Any ideas?

·
Registered
68 Posts
You have an AR5. There are several kits on eBay and elsewhere that should have everything you need.

·
Registered
392 Posts
For manual transmissions for our trucks, it as SpikeG says, there is only the Aisin AR-5 or MA5 as GM calls it.

For clutches, a stock GM/AC Delco or comparable clutch will do. For anything else, for towing, offroad and heavy duty stuff, look for Hummer clutches and associated flywheels that used the same transmission.

There are aftermarket, performance solutions as well, but anything with paddle clutches will be quite "chattery" and will certainly affect the feel of the clutch and it's operation, you may not like it.

Hope this helps, good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For manual transmissions for our trucks, it as SpikeG says, there is only the Aisin AR-5 or MA5 as GM calls it.

For clutches, a stock GM/AC Delco or comparable clutch will do. For anything else, for towing, offroad and heavy duty stuff, look for Hummer clutches and associated flywheels that used the same transmission.

There are aftermarket, performance solutions as well, but anything with paddle clutches will be quite "chattery" and will certain affect the feel of the clutch and it's operation, you may not like it.

Hope this helps, good luck!
I want to do performance but everything is still stock so as of now there is no point. Maybe after I do a v6 swap I will look into performance clutch kit

·
Registered
392 Posts
I want to do performance but everything is still stock so as of now there is no point. Maybe after I do a v6 swap I will look into performance clutch kit
Indeed, unless you're really pushing the truck hard, the stock clutch will suffice.

V6 swap? IMHO go V8 or go home, anything else is a waste of time and money IMHO.

A decent LS series V8 will also probably be cheaper even than most V6s, as they are quite common and easy to find, let alone having far more HP/torque potential.

Getting a tune, PCM, wiring harness and accessories for the V8 will be far easier to procure as well, since GM did put a V8 in our trucks.

At that point as well, you're also no longer going to concern yourself with the AR-5 as a viable transmission.

You'll want to go something far more heavy duty, like a Tremec T-65, if you plan on keeping your stick to row your own gears.

Just some things to think about, good luck!

Reactions: SpikeG

·
Registered
68 Posts
Indeed, unless you're really pushing the truck hard, the stock clutch will suffice.

V6 swap? IMHO go V8 or go home, anything else is a waste of time and money IMHO.

A decent LS series V8 will also probably be cheaper even than most V6s, as they are quite common and easy to find, let alone having far more HP/torque potential.

Getting a tune, PCM, wiring harness and accessories for the V8 will be far easier to procure as well, since GM did put a V8 in our trucks.

At that point as well, you're also no longer going to concern yourself with the AR-5 as a viable transmission.

You'll want to go something far more heavy duty, like a Tremec T-65, if you plan on keeping your stick to row your own gears.

Just some things to think about, good luck!
What he said, with one minor correction.
Many people are putting over 600hp to the factory ar5 after a ln LS swap!

·
Registered
392 Posts
What he said, with one minor correction.
Many people are putting over 600hp to the factory ar5 after a ln LS swap!
Really now, that is great to hear, I stand corrected!

I assume they had to upgrade to a hummer spec'ed or heavy-duty clutch however?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Really now, that is great to hear, I stand corrected!

I assume they had to upgrade to a hummer spec'ed or heavy-duty clutch however?
I recently learned this as well and couldn't be happier haha. fabbotfab.com makes an adapter for AR5 to LS using a 4L60e bellhousing, the rear ends seem to be good till around 400hp. the kits they sell come with LS1/2 clutches and flywheels though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i have a new in box Spec SC941-2 clutch kit stage I that i never needed for my 2008 colorado fitments listed as 2.8 -2.9 2004 to 2009 todays price on line around $400, my price $200 + shipping from PA. i am [email protected] if interested

1 - 9 of 9 Posts