Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be a long post. So I have a 2004 Chevy Colorado, for about a week now when I try to engage 4WL or 4WH I can hear the transfer case doing its thing, but it never engages 4WD and the lights on the buttons blink and never stay solid. So I put the truck on a lift and tried and still same thing. After reading some other post, someone suggested to put the truck in neutral, switch to 4WD, switch back to neutral, turn the truck off, then turn the truck back on and put it in drive. I tried this while I had the truck lifted off the ground and sure enough it worked. Well it sorta worked, the driver side tire will spin and the passenger side will not. Also I noticed the front driver side tire spins significantly faster than the rear tires when engaged in 4WD, I am not for sure if it is suppose to. Also remember how I mentioned earlier that my front driver side tire spins but the front passenger does not when engaged in 4WD? Well I can manually stop my Driver front tire with my boot and when I do the passenger tire starts to spin. So my Questions are, are both front tires support to lock in and turn at the same speed when 4WD is engaged and are they suppose to turn at the same speed of the rear tires, and should I be able to stop them spinning with ease ?Thanks so much.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
That’s how your open differential works. The tire with the least traction/resistance gets the power. That’s why only one wheel spins but when you stop it with your boot that has more resistance/traction so the power is sent to the other side. A differential locker is the way to get power to both sides equally.

As far as the front spinning faster than the rear I’m at a loss. I suspect that being off the ground will cause some issues in that regard.

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
That’s how your open differential works. The tire with the least traction/resistance gets the power. That’s why only one wheel spins but when you stop it with your boot that has more resistance/traction so the power is sent to the other side. A differential locker is the way to get power to both sides equally.

As far as the front spinning faster than the rear I’m at a loss. I suspect that being off the ground will cause some issues in that regard.
Just curious as I am 4wd challenged. If the OP has a locking rear differential and both rear tires are spinning would they turn more slowly than a single tire spinning on the front with the open differential? Another question: are all 4wd trucks equipped with locking differentials?

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Just curious as I am 4wd challenged. If the OP has a locking rear differential and both rear tires are spinning would they turn more slowly than a single tire spinning on the front with the open differential? Another question: are all 4wd trucks equipped with locking differentials?
They should rotate at the same speed front to rear whether a locker is used or not. The transfer case splits the power 50/50 front to rear so everything should be equal.

Not all 4wd trucks have a locking differential. It's a feature typically reserved for more off-road orientated vehicles. That being said, the Colorados did have a G80 rear locker offered on certain models. The G80 locker engages when it detects a difference in the passenger/driver wheel speed.

I personally don't care for the G80 locker design and removed it from my rear axle and replaced it with a selectable locker. A front locker from a Hummer H3 can be installed in a 1st Gen front differential but they weren't an option on any 1st Gen Colorado. I installed one a few years ago and it worked well until I did my SAS.

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
They should rotate at the same speed front to rear whether a locker is used or not. The transfer case splits the power 50/50 front to rear so everything should be equal.

Not all 4wd trucks have a locking differential. It's a feature typically reserved for more off-road orientated vehicles. That being said, the Colorados did have a G80 rear locker offered on certain models. The G80 locker engages when it detects a difference in the passenger/driver wheel speed.

I personally don't care for the G80 locker design and removed it from my rear axle and replaced it with a selectable locker. A front locker from a Hummer H3 can be installed in a 1st Gen front differential but they weren't an option on any 1st Gen Colorado. I installed one a few years ago and it worked well until I did my SAS.
Okay, I think I understand, thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for the reply. I was worried something was messed up. Glad you gave me some relief lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts