Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I've had this odd whining sound from the rear of my motor, I've read thousands of lines of forums, all more or less leading to no resolution since most people don't come back to finish their postings, however I've gleamed enough information to find the solution to the sound. From what I've learned this is not the transmission, front pump or anything else connected to the motor, this is indeed the balance shaft timing chain tensioner, as others have guessed. They are common in inline engines and especially GM, they last about 160k, but I've read others having issues much much earlier.

1. Question is how long does this job really take? I'm getting wild estimates. I know you have to drop the tranny, i can figure that labor in my head, however some mechanics state to pull the left shaft takes 1.5 hours and the right takes 3.5, i can't understand this since every video and documentation i've seen only show that you remove the chain, unbolt the balance shaft and slide it out? Please help me understand what I'm missing and or anybodies experience with these balance shafts.

I've read that there is an updated shaft, tensioner and chain kit that has oil guides to help lube the area, and it's about $500 dollars confirmed at Chevy dealer (chain and tensioner are over $100 dollars and most likely all you really need. Problem is i can't find a mechanic that has done this job before.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked around and a lot of tranny shops tried to jock me around when it has nothing to do with the tranny. Dishonest and not willing to research my issue. So screw them I did the research . So long story short in cali thisabout 1200$ including parts. But I figure why drop the tranny to have this annoyance fixed when ill do the torque converter at the same timelater. Ping me if u have more questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts