Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2004 Colorado LS 3.5L with 80,000 miles. Its been overheating lately. I changed out the thermostat and it didn't help. The water pump seems fine and heat comes out in the cabin if the heater is turned on. The bearings are also ok and no leaks anywhere. I also burped the cooling system. Anyone have any ideas I can try? Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Could be the temp sensor giving you faulty readings? Also, the water pump is cheap and not hard to change (if you look up some tricks for removing the clutch fan). I had to replace mine at about 130k. There's not many other points of failure besides a clogged radiator so throwing parts isn't the worst idea here, but always start with the cheapest!

·
Registered
647 Posts
You have a 17 year old radiator and it can't last forever without some amount of crud building up inside . The radiators in these trucks are not the best quality to begin with either , just one row cheap plastic and aluminum . Try all the basic stuff and a flush before you go the new radiator route .

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'll add, if the fan has to come off and you plan on keeping the truck, an electric fan is a worthwhile upgrade. Smoothed my idle, 1mpg increase, and slightly perkier off the line. I paid $280 for a flex-a-lite 180 xtreme kit (everything needed to install) on amazon. Been going for 2 years strong so far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it overheat on the highway? Or just idling?
Fan, rad cap, radiator itself, lots of possibilities.
It overheats just idling and driving. Fan works, fluid full,
Does it overheat on the highway? Or just idling?
Fan, rad cap, radiator itself, lots of possibilities.
It overheats idling and driving. I just replaced the coolant temperature sensor and that didn't help either...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll add, if the fan has to come off and you plan on keeping the truck, an electric fan is a worthwhile upgrade. Smoothed my idle, 1mpg increase, and slightly perkier off the line. I paid $280 for a flex-a-lite 180 xtreme kit (everything needed to install) on amazon. Been going for 2 years strong so far.
Do you have a link to the one you ordered ? Does the fan stay on or does it kick on at a certain temp ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Change out the fan clutch. That fan should be very loud. You can not miss it. Buy the water pump / fan clutch kit. Get it over with. Change both as a pair. The pump is just a couple more bolts. The shroud was the fun part to line up to get the clips back on. I cooked the trans and had to have it rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
How do you know it is overheating? The gauge that is not accurate at all? Or, is it boiling water out of the radiator or the overflow? Has the truck ever gone into limp mode for overheating? Picture of where the needle is when you say it is overheating?

Mine regularly reaches 225 on my scan gauge while the air is running and I am in traffic, driving or idling. 225 on my stock gauge is above the 3/4 mark on the gauge, but is not yet to overheating stage. The truck will go into limp mode if it truly overheats. Been driving mine since Feb 2005 when it was brand new and have 325xxx miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check your radiator cap to make sure it is still good. If it doesn't allow system to build proper pressure, the boiling point fo the fluid will not raise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I have a 2004 Colorado LS 3.5L with 80,000 miles. Its been overheating lately. I changed out the thermostat and it didn't help. The water pump seems fine and heat comes out in the cabin if the heater is turned on. The bearings are also ok and no leaks anywhere. I also burped the cooling system. Anyone have any ideas I can try? Thanks for your help in advance!
I think there is a problem in the cars radiator, you should have a look at that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Or maybe your fan clutch is probably bad.

With the engine off, turn your fan by hand. There should be some resistance. If it turns easily, replace it.
Kodi nox
Then run the engine to normal temp, turn it off and turn the fan by hand again. It should be "stiffer" and more difficult.

If it isn't, replace it.
that's more likely than the radiator thing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts