Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2004, I drove a brand new black [email protected]#extended cab Colorado z71 off the lot. [email protected]#It's been my daily driver ever since and now has close to 160,000 miles.

I've taken good care of it, but at 117,000 miles, much like everyone else's 3.5, it started running a little rougher and threw the code for the valve seat.

A little over 2 years ago I took a job in NYC, but I still live in Ohio. [email protected]# I drive home twice a month so I'm racking up around 2,500 miles per month right now. The mileage on the engine is starting to concern me and I don't want to get stranded in nowhere PA. Also thinking it may be time to get a 4 cylinder for MPGs as long as I'm stuck in NYC.

So here are my options:

1.Replace the cylinder head. Online the head itself was $800 plus I don't have the skills to replace it so add labor. But then I still have an engine with 160,000 miles.

2. Find a low mileage junkyard 3.5. I've read converting to the [email protected]#3.7 is pretty complex. [email protected]#Was every 3.5 a time bomb? If so, that's out.

3. Find a new replacement engine. Only thing I've found online was a jasper engine that was over four grand. (that ain't happening)

4. Sell it as-is.

5. Trade it in.

KBB shows private party values from $7,095 to $8,770 and trade-in from $4,545 to $6,020. [email protected]#I certainly can't see anyone buying a truck for $7k with 160,000 miles and a check engine light on. So I guess another option would be fixing and then selling it.

[email protected]#I'm probably a little more emotionally attached to this vehicle than is financially healthy so I'm not sure what to [email protected]#

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
07 3.7 is pretty easy swap.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Clear the code before your trade it in, and you should be fine. Screw the dealership!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Ipaid hehe
991 Posts
If you don't want to deal with all of this. Just clear the codes like mentioned above and trade it in for another 355 with less miles... yey! :)
I traded mine in for the current one and love it....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Not all of the 3.5s were bad.

I'm still on my original 3.5 and it drive it like I stole it. It was a roll of the dice on the 3.5s

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
There are a lot of high mileage 3.5s on this site and I'd be comfortable to say that the head issue isn't an issue with every truck. Since most people end up finding this site because they have an issue, I think we definitely have a disproportionate number of failures represented.

You mentioned it threw the code for the valve seat. What code is that? I only ask because there are a lot of people who assume they have a bad head & it turns out to be something else, such as a dirty throttle body, bad sensor, etc.

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
A leak down test is the only way to confirm it is indeed a bad valve seat/head. If you've had a LD test and it failed, you're pretty much pwned. But if you've not had one yet, there's still a glimmer of hope it's something else.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Depends on your wallet content.I had same issue's with my 2004.Exspecially after dropping my tranny pan.Was offered 4000 trade but private sold it to a gm tech for his sons first car for 4500.Still had to come up with over 22k to replace it.I can't stand problems and not being dependable so payed the big bucks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are a lot of high mileage 3.5s on this site and I'd be comfortable to say that the head issue isn't an issue with every truck. Since most people end up finding this site because they have an issue, I think we definitely have a disproportionate number of failures represented.

You mentioned it threw the code for the valve seat. What code is that? I only ask because there are a lot of people who assume they have a bad head & it turns out to be something else, such as a dirty throttle body, bad sensor, etc.
Yes and i`m think , often , head issue was in low mileage .Mine is 185.000km with rough idle too and check engine flashing sometimes....always p0301 ( yes i swap it ..coil..etc ), i will check for an injector , but i run like that for 6 months now whitout trouble evolution. Before , i will change cv boots...:givemebeer:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts