Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got an 05 truck with a bad 2.8L. Can't find a good 2.8L nearby. Found what is supposed to be an 07 2.9L though. From what I've read, this will swap.

Can anyone tell me how to identify if the 2.9 is an 07? It is already pulled. Any issues to face with the ECM or wiring/accessories? Does this engine have head problems or other known issues like the 2.8? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Re: 2.8L to 2.9L Swap Questions

Easiest way to tell them apart is the valve cover. On the newer engines it's aluminum as opposed to the old engine's black plastic. Use your existing PCM, wiring, and sensors and you'll be fine.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

The VIN number for the motor will also verify that its a 07 motor. 08+ 2.9s are not a simple drop in......different sensors and stuff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Easy enough on the valve cover to ID it. Was told it has about 50k on it. Came from a wrecked truck.

Hadn't seen the motor yet, just wanted to know what I'll be looking for if I get out there. Thanks for the help.

Anyone know if these engines are any better than the junk 2.8?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

They are alittle bit better power wise

2004-06 2.8 175hp / 185ftlb
2007-12 2.9 185hp / 190ftlb

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Not concerned with power. This one had the head issue. Head was replaced. Fast forward a bit and now I have 0 compression on cyl 3. It isn't in the bottom end. Piston looks ok though I haven't bothered to pull the head. Guessing it is a valve. Cam/valve springs and all look fine.

Truck has 104k on it...

Just looking for a reliable solution.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts

reason asking is thats the motor in my old canyon I totaled with the exact mileage as you stated. Id like to find the actual truck again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Engine is located in SC. Doubtful. I've got a nice 05 that needs work though. It could be yours :)

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

CC with a 2.8 :ugh: = slug

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

Again, the aluminum valve/cam cover is not the 100% give all.

Verify by VIN that it came from an 07............if its an 08, you might be stuck with a big aluminum brick/paper weight or in for the long ride of making it work.

With a broken motor mount I'd be concerned with the structural integrity of the block.

When they say, "around 50k" it doesn't sound like they verified the mileage; ie they didn't run the motor prior to pulling

I would ask alot of questions prior to sending funds. Also what is their return policy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks for the reply. I am with you on all of those concerns. This isn't my first rodeo. I'm not overly keen on it, but will try to get some info on it. Having a hard time finding an engine!

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

Well that's all I've got!

1BADI5 is out

·
Registered
833 Posts

Yeah...I get the heeby-jeebies from that ad.
Try car-part. You may have to drive a while or pay shipping, but you'll likely end up with a better engine.

Here's one:

Engine
Chevy Colorado 2DR,WHI,2.9,10-06,C-AT,GOOD N03 74,000 A MH4892 $850 Blue & Gold USA-SC(Goose-Creek) Request_Quote 843-797-5580 / 800-331-1353 Request_Insurance_Quote

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thanks for posting that. I will check it out. It's been a while since I bought anything using car-part. I got the VIN from the seller on that other motor. Found a pic of the truck wrecked. It was hammered.

·
Registered
833 Posts

Regarding the durability question, it seems that the newer engines have less problems.
Consumers reports data bears this out, with 06 engines having below average reliability and 07 engines having above average reliability.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

Well, it turns out that the 2.8 has a burnt exhaust valve on the #3 cylinder. I guess when they replace the head, they swap over all the old parts. Sucks for me.

I found a low mileage 2007 2.9 that had been whacked (off car-part). Thanks @limequat for recommending that site. I forgot all about it. The new to me 2.9 got hit hard. Right now I'm tearing the broken stuff off of it to make sure that the block isn't cracked. The salvage yard is willing to take it back if something is wrong with it, which is really cool.

Got the old motor out and am making some progress as time allows. Here are some pics of the removal process. Didn't have to tear the head off but I wanted to see what was wrong. The head bolts were a female dog. I can see why they often break.

Quick question- will my computer need to be modified to run the 2.9, or will it be good as is?

Attachments

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

Easiest way to tell them apart is the valve cover. On the newer engines it's aluminum as opposed to the old engine's black plastic. Use your existing PCM, wiring, and sensors and you'll be fine.
Thanks for the reply. I am with you on all of those concerns. This isn't my first rodeo. I'm not overly keen on it, but will try to get some info on it. Having a hard time finding an engine!
Quick question- will my computer need to be modified to run the 2.9, or will it be good as is?
Not to be a :dick:

BUT.....since you kindly informed me this is not your first rodeo........maybe reading the replies in your thread would be a good start :shrug:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts