Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intermittent ABS fault on new to me 2005 Colorado Z71 with the I5. Fault light on and off, and brake pedal vibration at times as the ABS is engaging. Any quick fixes for the issue or where might I look for the root cause?

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
If you know someone with a scan tool have them check for codes stored in the truck computers. If no scan tool is available, you can go to most any auto parts store (AdvanceAuto, Autozone, etc) and they will scan your truck for free. If you are looking for advice from us you will need to get the codes and post them here. Some retailers will just try to tell you what part they think you will need, or give you a description of the problem. Ask for the code numbers. They are usually one letter followed by four numbers (ex. C0153).

There are many issues that can cause the ABS fault light to illuminate. Without hands on troubleshooting or some more information indicated by the codes all you can expect is some educated guesses based on past history of these vehicles.

·
Premium Member
3,425 Posts
Check the ABS sensors. On both front hubs, these are press on and will act the fool if the bearing is loose and is moving around. You can get new sensors, but they have to be pressed on. May need a new hub as the bearing is going bad. The whole hub has to come out either way. Make sure the wires are connect good at the connectors. Find a shop that can diagnose ABS fault codes and get it fixed.

·
Registered
710 Posts
If you know someone with a scan tool have them check for codes stored in the truck computers. If no scan tool is available, you can go to most any auto parts store (AdvanceAuto, Autozone, etc) and they will scan your truck for free. If you are looking for advice from us you will need to get the codes and post them here. Some retailers will just try to tell you what part they think you will need, or give you a description of the problem. Ask for the code numbers. They are usually one letter followed by four numbers (ex. C0153).

There are many issues that can cause the ABS fault light to illuminate. Without hands on troubleshooting or some more information indicated by the codes all you can expect is some educated guesses based on past history of these vehicles.
There is a work around for not having a scan tool for this test. A friend of mine that worked at an auto parts store made a jumper from a wrecked Colorado by cutting off the connectors and adding a length of additional wire. He then plugs in one connector to the suspected bad hub and the other end to a new hub from the stores on hand stock. If the ABS light went out, he found the bad hub. It also worked if another Colorado with no ABS issues was pulled alongside of the one being tested, sort of like jumper cables for the battery. Have to give the guy an -A- for effort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts