Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem. My power door locks all of a sudden quit working. The relay and fuse are good. It makes the ding noise when you hit the inside door lock button. Checked all the connectors in both front door lock arm panels and connectors are good. Just not sure what to look for. Any info would great be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

· Premium Member
4,458 Posts
There shouldn't be any relay for the power side of the door lock circuit. Just a fuse and battery power to the lock switches at all times. The 'dinging' when you move the interior switch manually is normal. It's just a signal that a door is open.

Although not mentioned, I'm assuming that the front passenger switch will not lock the doors either.

Need to check power and grounds.
Grounds: The Driver's door switch ground is at the G105 ground pack on the left side of the engine compartment next to the ABS Module.. The ground for the Passenger's door switch is G106 located on the right side of the engine compartment, behind the air filter case. Both ground packs are exactly the same. Small black boxes mounted to the fender wall, each with one bolt. Remove the bolts and clean the surfaces. The boxes can be pried open to inspect inside. This isn't a conclusive check of the ground circuit, but those ground packs are a major source of electrical problems with these trucks
Power: I know you have already looked at the switches, but if you haven't already done so, make sure not to break the plastic retainer on the front of the Driver's door switch panel. After removing the screws, first lift up on the front of the panel to release the retainer. The door switch has two connectors, an 8 pin connector and a 14 pin connector. With a test light or multimeter, check for battery voltage at the 8 pin connector, Orange wire. Find a good ground on the body, not the door.

With the temperature extremes as they are now, everything gets brittle. There is a chance of a broken wire in the hinge area of the Driver's door.

Don't the power door locks/windows come with a remote key fob?

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There shouldn't be any relay for the power side of the door lock circuit. Just a fuse and battery power to the lock switches at all times. The 'dinging' when you move the interior switch manually is normal. It's just a signal that a door is open.

Although not mentioned, I'm assuming that the front passenger switch will not lock the doors either.

Grounds: The Driver's door switch ground is at the G105 ground pack on the left side of the engine compartment next to the ABS Module.. The ground for the Passenger's door switch is G106 located on the right side of the engine compartment, behind the air filter case. Both ground packs are exactly the same. Small black boxes mounted to the fender wall, each with one bolt. Remove the bolts and clean the surfaces. The boxes can be pried open to inspect inside. This isn't a conclusive check of the ground circuit, but those ground packs are a major source of electrical problems with these trucks
Power: I know you have already looked at the switches, but if you haven't already done so, make sure not to break the plastic retainer on the front of the Driver's door switch panel. After removing the screws, first lift up on the front of the panel to release the retainer. The door switch has two connectors, an 8 pin connector and a 14 pin connector. With a test light or multimeter, check for battery voltage at the 8 pin connector, Orange wire. Find a good ground on the body, not the door.

With the temperature extremes as they are now, everything gets brittle. There is a chance of a broken wire in the hinge area of the Driver's door.

Thanks for the reply. I did think of the grounding blocks. I’m gonna go out and check those now. Thanks for the info.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hi.
just dealt with the grounding blocks. No luck but thx for the suggestion. Very appreciated.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi.
just dealt with the grounding blocks. No luck but thx for the suggestion. Very appreciated.
Also did try the fob. It flicks the lights but doesn’t unlock. I’ll take the drivers side button unit off and test it as you suggested. Just running out of daylight. I’ll run a new wire right to the battery ground tomorrow after I use the test light to make sure I have power. Did change the fuse. No luck. I’ve had trouble with the grounding block on passenger side for heater motor. I’ll let you know what I find out. Thx again.

· Registered
69 Posts
Pull the switch panel and put in front of a heater for like 20-30 minutes. Yes heat. There’s a video out there. First time this happened I replaced the ground pack on fender with terminals. Happened again and the heat thing fixed it. Good luck

· Premium Member
789 Posts
So the problem is with a "heated" door lock switch? Or is it a lack of understanding what caliheat is saying?
I did not know there was an option for a "heated" door lock switch - 'course I would never have used it anyway here in S FL.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the problem is with a "heated" door lock switch? Or is it a lack of understanding what caliheat is saying?
I did not know there was an option for a "heated" door lock switch - 'course I would never have used it anyway here in S FL.
I wasn’t sure what he was trying to say. I lost use of the auto door locks and it was the battery was shot. All switches work except the drivers side lock in the door. I tried cleaning the switch with no luck so I ordered a new switch and that’ll fix the problem. It’s not a heated switch. Just a normal switch. New one will be here today. I’ll let you know how it works out. Thx.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put a new switch in and it took care of it and I did buy a new battery. The old one must have froze at one time because it was bulged on the side.

· Registered
9 Posts
Hi
I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem. My power door locks all of a sudden quit working. The relay and fuse are good. It makes the ding noise when you hit the inside door lock button. Checked all the connectors in both front door lock arm panels and connectors are good. Just not sure what to look for. Any info would great be appreciated. Thank you in advance. Speed Test
you do not find anything else. Mine does this when the battery starts dying off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts