Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been able to determine how my floor fills up with water. It looks like the leak is where the 2 doors meet on the passenger side. I have not seen anything on this type of water leak.
I have put paper towels around and that's how I suspect it's just at the start of the rear door. Its was also slightly damp at the rear where the vent it. All the seals around the doors look great. Puzzled

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would start at the cyclops light on the cab. They are notorious for leaking. You can pick up window gasket material from home depot for like $8, much cheaper than buying the actual oem gasket

·
Registered
450 Posts
Check to see if water is in the third brake light or if the screws are rusty, two sure signs of a failed seal. If you have a sliding rear window the seal at the bottom of the center glass is prone to leak also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check to see if water is in the third brake light or if the screws are rusty, two sure signs of a failed seal. If you have a sliding rear window the seal at the bottom of the center glass is prone to leak also.
Thanks will check these out, but it needs to get above 20 degrees her\re in Ohio. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks will check these out, but it needs to get above 20 degrees her\re in Ohio. Thanks
If this third brak light leaks, does anyone understand how the water gets to the floor? I assume it would get inside, then have to run around the window frame inside then down to the floor of the rear of the cab? I need a picture to understand this, but maybe you can understand. If I squirted water, I may not see an immediate leak at this point? It seems like I get more water at the middle of the left doors.
I also see that there can be water leaks with the vent, how would i prove this? Maybe paper towels at this vent?

·
Registered
450 Posts
If you took off that third brake light you will find there is a large hole cut into the cab roof where all the wires and connectors for the light pass through. One of the seals for weather is the light itself as it covers 100% of the hole using the back of the light and that thin seal/gasket . If water enters from the top and the bottom of the seal is intact the water will raise up to a level that once high enough will overflow into that hole. When that happens water will run undetected down behind the back panel of the rear seats. At that point the water contacts the sound deadener / insulation under the carpet and by capillary action spreads . It is not unusual for it to travel to the front of the truck , ask me how I know, and you have a real mess. Please note that under the front seat the BCM and ECM can get soaked and ruined if you don't get this under control. Find that leak, best of luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have just finished re-installing my third brake light. I believe this was my issue, THANKS. I now remember when I took my truck in for tire rotation, they found a brake light out and they replaced the blub. When I took the brake light off, the gasket was terrible and all over the place. I got a new gasket and had to replace all 4 bulbs, clean it up and put it back on with a little silicone across the top of the gasket where it's against the body. My carpets and insulation are all dried out and back in. Some stains on the carpet, but it will do.
Now, does anyone know if water gets behind the light but not high enough to flow into the hole where the wires feed through? It looks like it could flow either to the right or left side of the back of the cab, and then where to? Possible down the sides? I don't really need to know, but just wondering. And you know that I will be checking for wet carpets for a few months.

I am now back to getting my '64 corvette ready for spring. Power steering and a door alignment challenge. Again thanks.
Dale in Ohio

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just finished re-installing my third brake light. I believe this was my issue, THANKS. I now remember when I took my truck in for tire rotation, they found a brake light out and they replaced the blub. When I took the brake light off, the gasket was terrible and all over the place. I got a new gasket and had to replace all 4 bulbs, clean it up and put it back on with a little silicone across the top of the gasket where it's against the body. My carpets and insulation are all dried out and back in. Some stains on the carpet, but it will do.
Now, does anyone know if water gets behind the light but not high enough to flow into the hole where the wires feed through? It looks like it could flow either to the right or left side of the back of the cab, and then where to? Possible down the sides? I don't really need to know, but just wondering. And you know that I will be checking for wet carpets for a few months.

I am now back to getting my '64 corvette ready for spring. Power steering and a door alignment challenge. Again thanks.
Dale in Ohio

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, I wanted to put in my 2 cents. Mine is a 2005 Canyon Ext Cab. I had the third brake light issue to the point the little brake light bulbs had water in them. Floor was wet from drivers back to front and replaced the gasket and dried out the carpet really well. Now I am finding wetness up under the dash so I think I had/have two problems. 3rd break light leaking and now the cowl drain lines I think are blocked. Brake light wetness came from the back to the front and now it is coming from under the dash and working its way to under the drivers feet/driver side floorboards. Frustrating!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts