Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son bought this vehicle a few months ago, and discovered a little later that every now and then when trying to start, it just cranks and cranks but won't start. You can hear the fuel pump kick on when the key turns to ignition. He was told by some mechanic it had something to do with the chip in the key, but his key doesn't have a chip. Chevy says his model should, but it doesn't make sense why it would start most times. Usually it will start after 10 mins or so. Anyone have any thoughts on this?? Thanks!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Lots of thoughts. Your truck is having a PassLock issue. It is not in the key. The resistor that the BCM/PCM is looking for a reading from lies in the ignition switch. Search around here for the PassLock issues. If it starts after 10 minutes it sure sounds like that is it. Like I said, look around and if you have additional questions we will do our best to help.

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
My son bought this vehicle a few months ago, and discovered a little later that every now and then when trying to sta
My son bought this vehicle a few months ago, and discovered a little later that every now and then when trying to start, it just cranks and cranks but won't start. You can hear the fuel pump kick on when the key turns to ignition. He was told by some mechanic it had something to do with the chip in the key, but his key doesn't have a chip. Chevy says his model should, but it doesn't make sense why it would start most times. Usually it will start after 10 mins or so. Anyone have any thoughts on this?? Thanks!!
As Dragon08 mentioned, it most likely is related to the PassLock system. Unless you live in Canada, the ignition key will not have a 'chip'. The Manual states that if the PassLock Security is activated, the truck will not start, under any circumstances, for 10 minutes. The fact that your issue is intermittent could be a worn key or a failing ignition switch. If your son has another ignition key, try using that. Or have a new one cut. If the problem persists, post back and we will provide the necessary info for replacing the ignition switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
But how does it work if the key doesn't have a chip? What is PassLock looking for? Is it possible to just get a new key made if it is worn?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Passlock is looking for a specific resistance value from the ignition system. That resistance value is supplied by a resistor in the ignition switch circuit. So its not as fancy as a chip or RFID.

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
So does the key "generate the correct" resistance? Could it be a worn key?
The ignition key plays a part in the circuit, but the most important item is the resistor in the switch itself. There have been a few reports from Owners that have said changing the key corrected the issue. That's the reason for the first suggestion. It is the easiest and least expensive thing to try. Remember, you said the issue was intermittent, so it will be very difficult to troubleshoot at this stage. When intermittent problems happen and a failing component is hard to find, most guys will get out the parts cannon and that can get expensive and frustrating very quickly.

Other than the wiring, the three components in the PassLock circuit are the BCM, the PCM and the ignition switch. The BCM sends a 5volt signal to the ignition switch. When the ignition switch is moved to the 'start' position it routes that 5volts through a resistor (each ignition switch has a different value resistor) which will lower the voltage, which is then routed back to the BCM. The BCM is going to compare that voltage to the value that is stored in it's memory. If the values match, the BCM will send a password to the PCM and the PCM will start operation of the injectors. If the password is not received by the PCM the injectors will remain shut down. If that happens the truck will either start and immediately shut down or will not start at all.

The most common failure of the PassLock system is the ignition switch. I don't have any idea exactly what the failure is, but my guess is that wear on the contacts somehow changes the resistance of the circuit enough to change the signal returning to the BCM. The signal is already less than 5volts and the BCM may be looking for readings in millivolts.

Note: If some previous Owner has mucked with the wiring, all bets are off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the help! I asked my son to try a new key first , and he said he called before and thought the Chevy dealer was giving him a hard time about just getting a key and that and that he'd have to bring it in. Is getting a new key a simple process or does it involve more than just providing the VIN number?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Its not a chip key or anything. Literally just take it to the hardware store and have a few copies made. Keep a spare in the house and one in a hide-a-key box somewhere on the truck. My trucks are both manual locks with no fob, so those are more prone to accidentally locking keys in. But never a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
Thank you for all the help! I asked my son to try a new key first , and he said he called before and thought the Chevy dealer was giving him a hard time about just getting a key and that and that he'd have to bring it in. Is getting a new key a simple process or does it involve more than just providing the VIN number?
Most Dealer's will require the VIN and proof of ownership of the truck. Keys at a Dealership are 'punched' using a code registered to that vehicle. The keys are not copied from an old key and therefore more accurately cut. And quite a bit more expensive. They do not need the truck to be physically present to make the key. Of course, Dealers can, and often do, make up their own rules.

·
2 timer
1,434 Posts
And then you buy a "new" truck and have the Chevrolet service department say they can't cut a second key because the "chipped Key" causes issues...Went and had 2 cut at Walmart.

Reactions: DinaVF

·
Registered
23 Posts
This happening my husband's 2004 Canyon. His key would not work. Had new copy made, tada!! Weird but I guess after so much time his key just wore out!! You don't have to have key made at dealership!!

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
This happening my husband's 2004 Canyon. His key would not work. Had new copy made, tada!! Weird but I guess after so much time his key just wore out!! You don't have to have key made at dealership!!
"You don't have to have key made at dealership!!" That's a true statement, however the results will depend on just how worn the key is that has been copied. Most all keys made at big box stores and many locksmiths are made using a sample key provided by the customer. If a very worn sample key is provided, a very worn 'new' key is produced.

Dealers cut keys on a special device using a code that identifies how the key is cut and the key will be as accurate as if it was new with the vehicle. A dealer does not need a sample key to make a new one. Yes, it is expensive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry my bad!! Didn't mean to put out wrong info. We made the key off my copy of the key which was not worn down. Again sorry I over stepped.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i didn’t know the passlock problem would allow it to crank at all. Having problems like that sounds more indicative of a fuel pump.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2006. Eventually the passlock module failed hard and would only start after 10 minutes of cranking, which would also drain the battery. I changed the padlock module only. The module came as part of an assembly; switch and module.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Sorry my bad!! Didn't mean to put out wrong info. We made the key off my copy of the key which was not worn down. Again sorry I over stepped.
Wow, a person willing to admit a mistake. That's okay, no one is perfect. A stand-up person like you is greatly appreciated. (y)

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
What I should have said is that making a copy of an existing key isn't always guaranteed to work, but is a quick and cost effective option to try. If I was in that situation my first choice would be to get a copy made. Then, if that did not work, I would get a Dealer key before ruling it out as the cause of the issue. I don't know what the cost of making a key at a Dealer would be, but nothing is cheap at a Dealer and they would surely want you to purchase the key there also.

A bit off topic, but I have difficulty understanding why anyone purchasing a used vehicle does not get the same number of keys and remotes as was provided by the factory. A relative recently purchased a 2010 Malibu for his daughter. He was given one key and no remotes. That car requires a 'chipped' key. Fortunately I got the aftermarket remotes she purchased to program and she can program a spare key herself using the original. Not being provided a full set of keys and remotes would be a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When my 2007 had this issue, I had a few extra keys made at Lowes as well as I had my computer tuned to bypass this passlock issue. Very easy fix. May sound overwhelming but I'm a small person without a lot of car knowledge.

Tuner Lime-swap sent me a computer to use temporarily and I sent him mine to tune, then he sent me mine back and I sent his back. Depending on your shipper, this was less than 30 mins of effort, maybe two weeks turnaround, no down time. Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine had same problem too went on YouTube and bypass security system

1 - 20 of 26 Posts