Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my 2006 Colorado (3.5) has had a rough idle and a intermittent shutter while at speed. There was a CEL throwing P0014 and at speed the CEL would blink for a minute or so and then stop then start again a few miles later. I’ve replaced the VVT solenoid and just recently replaced all coils and spark plugs. However cylinder 3’s plug was covered in oil. Out of disgust I just put in the new plug and coil anyway and pulled it out of the garage. The engine light is now gone and it the idle seems healthy again. I live 45 minutes from the nearest town and I’m not sure what next steps to take as far as oil on my plug. Bad o-ring? Bad valve cover gasket?
(I have to drive about 22 hours in a couple weeks and I’m not sure I trust this thing right now.) Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Recently my 2006 Colorado (3.5) has had a rough idle and a intermittent shutter while at speed. There was a CEL throwing P0014 and at speed the CEL would blink for a minute or so and then stop then start again a few miles later. I’ve replaced the VVT solenoid and just recently replaced all coils and spark plugs. However cylinder 3’s plug was covered in oil. Out of disgust I just put in the new plug and coil anyway and pulled it out of the garage. The engine light is now gone and it the idle seems healthy again. I live 45 minutes from the nearest town and I’m not sure what next steps to take as far as oil on my plug. Bad o-ring? Bad valve cover gasket?
(I have to drive about 22 hours in a couple weeks and I’m not sure I trust this thing right now.) Any tips would be appreciated.
Ref the P0014: Remove the connector for the Camshaft Position Sensor and check for evidence of oil in the connector. If you see evidence of oil, replace the sensor. OEM part number is 12584079. Aftermarket sensors are not reliable, stick with OEM.

For the oil in the spark plug recess you will need a valve cover gasket set. It includes the 5 seals that go around the spark plug opening. OEM part number is 12591633. Probably most any auto parts store will have aftemarket ones. FelPro is a good brand and I think Advance Auto Parts carries them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.