Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the old filter a couple of days ago but noticed there was no retention clamp holding the filter to the intake tube. It looked like the filter was just pushed onto the intake tube and held there by the filter contacting the airbox at the opposite end. There appears to be a channel molded in the air filter at the intake tube end of the filter where a band type clamp would fit. Even though it seemed like a snug fit and it looked like the old filter had not moved away from the intake tube to any degree. Just makes me nervous seeing this type of friction or interference retention method. Should there be a clamp holding the filter in place?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after posting this question, I surfed the web for awhile but couldn't find anything indicating there is a clamp for retaining the filter to the intake tube. At first glance, it looked pretty shoddy and not what you'd expect from an American auto manufacturer.For peace of mind, I think I'll try to find something at the hardware store that will be more positive in holding the filter to the intake tube. At the minimum, I'm going to apply a big cable ty. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
There are tabs on the inside and lid to the breather box that hold the filter in place. Here's the video:
Great looking truck too!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the complement and video. I think that I'll still try to put a clamp or cable ty in the molded groove on the replacement filter for peace of mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts