Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First i would like to thanks everyone who posted about their build, it really make thing easyer for newbye like me.

Started this a week ago after reading mav build, i couldnt resist.
my old 2006 4x4 needed a few more pony (damn those thing are slow from factory).

so far things are going pretty good
Ìv'e ordered a reflashed ecu from lime swap,
turbo gonna be a cheap t3/t4 ebay one with internal waste gate
80lbs siemens injector with most of the blow off boost controller meh even the fiting are from amazon.

Tig welder is back from repair monday, should run in the next week or so :) who know ?

as for now i finished tacking the headers and taping block for oil feed/return.

standart t3 flange , firewall gonna be close but no ac really make things easier.

headers pipe ended up way bigger than expected, 1.67 inner diameter really make the thing huge.

i dont plan on going over 10psi, unless some of you say i can with the stock internal, even then i think its a pretty nice hp increase

·
Registered
641 Posts
First i would like to thanks everyone who posted about their build, it really make thing easyer for newbye like me.

Started this a week ago after reading mav build, i couldnt resist.
my old 2006 4x4 needed a few more pony (damn those thing are slow from factory).

so far things are going pretty good
Ìv'e ordered a reflashed ecu from lime swap,
turbo gonna be a cheap t3/t4 ebay one with internal waste gate
80lbs siemens injector with most of the blow off boost controller meh even the fiting are from amazon.

Tig welder is back from repair monday, should run in the next week or so :) who know ?

as for now i finished tacking the headers and taping block for oil feed/return.

standart t3 flange , firewall gonna be close but no ac really make things easier.

headers pipe ended up way bigger than expected, 1.67 inner diameter really make the thing huge.

i dont plan on going over 10psi, unless some of you say i can with the stock internal, even then i think its a pretty nice hp increase
Now that’s a proper manifold. Nice work!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks ma5, you really made me dream about this for a whole 2 year. now i guess its my turn to try this out.

if you dont mind i have a few question, i see in your signature that you made a legit 350 rwhp ( wich would be a crazy amount of power to me), do you happen to know at wich point the stock clutch is able to handle that much increase ?

i mean i have a diesel truck for summer time and it basicaly eat single disk clutch on the 11" flywheel, BUT again its near 1000 lbs of torque. and i dont feel like dropping the transmision yet

·
Registered
673 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
meh not everyone having as much spare time as i do lol. i doubt we would see a hp change no mather what you put here. i got tube and elbow for really cheap, overall cost is under 150 usd else i woulda probably gone junk yard style featuring a bunch of elbow from old gaser headers

little update today after changing my mind 3 time i finaly got it like wanted.

·
Registered
673 Posts
meh not everyone having as much spare time as i do lol. i doubt we would see a hp change no mather what you put here.
That may or may not be true, but your welds are much better than mine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
About that guys , do you feel like the stock cat delete line would work well ? i mean its still 2.5 inch and i dont feel like doing the whole exhaust yet

·
Registered
673 Posts
It would probably work well enough for being temporary.

·
Registered
641 Posts
thanks ma5, you really made me dream about this for a whole 2 year. now i guess its my turn to try this out.

if you dont mind i have a few question, i see in your signature that you made a legit 350 rwhp ( wich would be a crazy amount of power to me), do you happen to know at wich point the stock clutch is able to handle that much increase ?

i mean i have a diesel truck for summer time and it basicaly eat single disk clutch on the 11" flywheel, BUT again its near 1000 lbs of torque. and i dont feel like dropping the transmision yet
The stock clutch did start slipping around 15psi, which was the most I ever ran. I’m not sure if it was overpowered or just wore out. Did fine at 10-12psi for a while.

Dude, you’re putting my builds to shame. That is an awesome place for an oil return. Nice intake plumbing too. Really opens up the turbo side of things.

Just a note: If you ever blow up the 2.8L, be sure to swap in a 2.9. There were enough updates to be worth it.

Keep the updates coming! This is getting good!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Sudol94 : i basicaly hole saw trought dash lol. everything fit pretty tigh and little mod to gauge retaining plate and it stay there. the whole between heater section and dash gauge is empty, there is a lot of space for multiple gage to fit in here

LLV.MA5 : thanks i wasnt really aiming to get a big clutch in there, and probably not gonna push the luck with the 2.8 above 10 psi. this thing is already 250 miles old :9.

as for oil return i was considered about removing the pan, so i made it drop right after balancer. some "sensing drilling" with a small 1/64 drill bit shown that this was the thick part of the block, casting is like 3/4 thick here so i tought it might be easyer than having a long hose going under the truck. And i guess that 5/8 i.d is far than enought for a return.

At the begining was looking for a "same side" intercooler, but those arent cheap around here. Ended up with this one, either way i agree that it could free up some space to get the 3.5 intake in there... damn power steering pump, i wish we could get rid of that stupid tank.

Those engine seem to be pretty clogged up from factory, depending on what rod/piston avaiable i might try to get a 2.9 like you say. i saw that it had way bigger exhaust valve, and seriously looking at intake runner (wich are huge) it seem like porting the exhaust side with bigger valve would allow for way more power ( if bottom end can handle it).

i think im going to go with a bigger exhaust then, thanks for the advice guys

·
Registered
71 Posts
If your worried about the clutch slipping you could always go to a 3.5L flywheel and clutch. There's over an inch difference in diameter and will hold the power much better. I did that to my truck and it hooked on a 3k rpm start no prob.
I'm also talking to Fidanza about getting an aluminum flywheel made.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah i feel like the 2.8=9 have a really high rotating mass ? or maybe is that because of the electronic throttle, but it dont rev and acelerate really freely like some other 4

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
well turbo and tune came in today. first start done !!!

finaly finished the 3.5 down pipe and exhaust ( damn i muffled it too much)

i would like some help tho, truck idle and run really bad under 1/3 throtle, it basicaly stall at when i stop or let the pedal off, but at soon as i reach like 2/3 pedal it run really good.

i get p0036 p0172 and p0132, first is second o2 sensor ( i removed it since its suposed to be deleted ) and i doubt it can cause this since i never had it on the truck.

the two other are Fuel trim rich ?, brand new o2 in...

i feel like the wastegate might be too small too, past 3-4k rpm boost keep climbing and even reach 18 psi at 6k, mmmmmm

1 - 20 of 68 Posts