Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Either way the p12 ecu aka 2006- had no real fine tuning from hp tuner. most of the 2007+ setting arent avaible to tune, no boost support ect.

ive finaly ended up making it run pretty good, went back to 3 inch maf and tube then scalled the whole tune to compensate for the ecu injector limit. to everyone that are going turbo on a 1 bar ecu, gotta disable dynamic air flow for everything that could see boost, and run MAF ONLY, mine was maf only past 4k rpm, meanwhyle if the truck is under that rpm and boost, it scale fuel with ve / maf average, wich is really garbage cause your ve table isnt boost referenced....

annnnnnnnnnnnnd clutch is gone lol... anyone have good idea on what i could get under that ? i feel like the stock h3 would be on its limit too, so ceramic ? organic with high pressure. i cant seem to find anything

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The H3 pressure plate is 11"/280mm but it's companion disc is only 10.4" OD. There are true 11" 26 spline puck type discs with metallic or carbon pucks available for 90's Chev 350's that should fit the H3 pressure plate and trans input shaft. Some discs with big OD spring hubs may not fit inside the pressure plate ID though, but those with smaller OD hubs or any rigid discs should be fine.
I just installed the H3 clutch in my 3.5 last week and will add some of my purchase details a little later today. Gotta go do presents.
Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
641 Posts
The H3 pressure plate is 11"/280mm but it's companion disc is only 10.4" OD. There are true 11" 26 spline puck type discs with metallic or carbon pucks available for 90's Chev 350's that should fit the H3 pressure plate and trans input shaft. Some discs with big OD spring hubs may not fit inside the pressure plate ID though, but those with smaller OD hubs or any rigid discs should be fine.
I just installed the H3 clutch in my 3.5 last week and will add some of my purchase details a little later today. Gotta go do presents.
Merry Christmas!

I bet the H3 clutch would do just fine. My stock 2.9 clutch lasted a while without slipping, and the H3 clutch is quite an upgrade.

Here’s a pic of mine. Apparently they used to be a true 11” clutch. Not sure when that changed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
That picture is sure not what comes with the H3 #24230633 clutch assembly which I got from gmpartsgiant.com for $137.08 plus shipping. I did use the small 10.4" disc that comes with the 11" pressure plate though I was looking at true 11" disc options too. I don't think the little disc would be adequate for a 5 cyl. turbo application but I do think the pressure plate would work nicely for street use with a puck style 11" metallic disc.

·
Registered
641 Posts
That picture is sure not what comes with the H3 #24230633 clutch assembly which I got from gmpartsgiant.com for $137.08 plus shipping. I did use the small 10.4" disc that comes with the 11" pressure plate though I was looking at true 11" disc options too. I don't think the little disc would be adequate for a 5 cyl. turbo application but I do think the pressure plate would work nicely for street use with a puck style 11" metallic disc.
That’s pretty strange. Mine was new in box with the same part number. Must have been a running change made.

I ran a metallic disc for a while and thought it was too grabby. The OEM discs have marcel springs between the frictions, making the disc “softer” in compression and increasing the length of engagement. (This is different than the hub being sprung, which my metallic disc still was.) If I needed more than the H3 clutch, I’d be tempted to run a heavy pressure plate with a stock H3 disc. Pedal force might be higher, but stock drivability would be retained.

At the very least, be sure you get a metallic disc with marcel springs. Losing drivability sucks.

Did your 10.4” clutch have metallic strands woven into the fiber?

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Sounds like Gold Country Russ knows his clutches, but in case anyone else is wondering what a marcel spring looks like in a clutch disc, here’s a picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
ive been looking around and seem like 1996-2002 disk from a camaro ss would be avaible in full 11 inch 26 spline 1 1/8 like our aisin ar 5, as well as way larger pad... but then again it depend on how stiff are the pusher spring...

i also think that i dont need a lot more hanging power. BUT i did like the 15 psi power. even if it mean going back to 3.5 maf

also im on a 4x4, it will slip everything going right to the ground so this still see some abuse.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Yes, about 50 years ago I did build performance clutches. My preferences for clutches has always been; just enough not to slip, more surface area instead of higher spring pressure, spring cushioned hubs on discs for the street, diaphragm spring instead of Long or Borg & Beck coil spring designs. Back then there were limited options for disc facings and most were organic or semi-metallic at best. For racing the best we could offer was a Borg & Beck style with high spring pressure and facings that were bonded to the disc. There was also a heavy duty diaphragm spring 11" clutch that was great for high performance street and NHRA stock class racing. I think that clutch was OEM on the 409 Chevy.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Centerforce/183/DF384208/10002/-1?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'm now even more concerned about running 15# boost reliably on 93 octane. It sounds like you are have limited tunability with the PCM and that the PCM is responding by limiting your spark advance (and horsepower) due to detonation. I have zero experience tuning PCM's for turbos but I do have a lot with engines and what they need in regards to spark advance, A/F ratio's, and octane to prevent detonation. Yes, I have indeed burned a few pistons as part of my learning curve. In my case it was because I was cheap and tried to use too low octane fuel in 13-1 compression engines. For my circle track application it turned out that 100 octane was OK with 3-4 deg of timing removed but for max power at optimum advance I needed 104 octane minimum.
All that to say it might run better and make more power with the 93 octane gas if the boost is a lot lower so that the PCM can add a lot more + timing.
The Honda guys may be able to add 25+ pounds of boost with racing gas but they have suitable Hondata (or AEM) electronics that are fully tunable but with normal pump gas they run less than half that boost on the street. It is also easy for them to run E85 if they want max boost on the street.

EDIT: The disc hub problem is actually inside the pressure plate, some discs won't fit in the available space.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
i get no knock report or knock retard at 15 psi tho, all that at 11* logging shown 0 knock and never hit the low octane map

as for tuning, general option are here, but the ecu isnt considering boost, gotta play with cylinder mass to retard underboost and normal timing under cruze.

intercooler is really doing his job too, air temp is really low for a boosted aplication

anyway... this is my first electronic car and first turbo,, but i know what engine knock is on a v8, a few year ago i used to run 11:1 on a low cam sbc, everyone then was hating and saying that it would need race gas... guess wat it ran just fine on 91, but then again i wasnt running a "out of the box" distributor...

The real shit is when it come to throttle body control, and power enrichment, since most option arent here, its kinda tricky to get mpg AND good ratio underboost, as with the turbo even at part throttle the intake manifold is near 100 kpa.... i dont see any real turn around that. I would seriously not recommend doing a boosted 2006 to anyone, get a 2007 and + and have a shit ton of tune potential.

yes it run, yes it haul , but damn anoying to get things right. and mpg could be way better with 2007+ ecu...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ordered a camaro ceramic plate today, its damn cheap on rock auto along with a h3 flywheel for 230 buck. only thing missing is a high rate pressure plate.. mmmm

·
Registered
641 Posts
i get no knock report or knock retard at 15 psi tho, all that at 11* logging shown 0 knock and never hit the low octane map

as for tuning, general option are here, but the ecu isnt considering boost, gotta play with cylinder mass to retard underboost and normal timing under cruze.

intercooler is really doing his job too, air temp is really low for a boosted aplication

anyway... this is my first electronic car and first turbo,, but i know what engine knock is on a v8, a few year ago i used to run 11:1 on a low cam sbc, everyone then was hating and saying that it would need race gas... guess wat it ran just fine on 91, but then again i wasnt running a "out of the box" distributor...

The real shit is when it come to throttle body control, and power enrichment, since most option arent here, its kinda tricky to get mpg AND good ratio underboost, as with the turbo even at part throttle the intake manifold is near 100 kpa.... i dont see any real turn around that. I would seriously not recommend doing a boosted 2006 to anyone, get a 2007 and + and have a shit ton of tune potential.

yes it run, yes it haul , but damn anoying to get things right. and mpg could be way better with 2007+ ecu...
2007 still had the old ecu (even though the engine got updated). 2008+ got the new ecu which is better supported by hp tuners.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
nice to know, so i guess we aint getting a manual transmision colorado with good boost control q.q

im curently chassing a weird trouble tho, dont know if anyone can help but the rev limiter just wont work, even with data back to factory it just wont

·
Registered
641 Posts
nice to know, so i guess we aint getting a manual transmision colorado with good boost control q.q

im curently chassing a weird trouble tho, dont know if anyone can help but the rev limiter just wont work, even with data back to factory it just wont
I had that happen too.

Make sure your “Spark Retard vs Torque Reduction” table has stock values in it. I believe the limiter needs this table to function.

If that isn’t it, I’ll do some more digging through my old tunes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Edit: nope i havent touched this one.... mmmmmmm might have to do with decelaration cut off ?

i might try some other default, but my neibhoor starting to look at me, i spent hour in the truck doing rev and cut off lol

hp tuner really cut the corner round when it come to our p12 ecu, such a trash half finished tool

·
Registered
641 Posts
Edit: nope i havent touched this one.... mmmmmmm might have to do with decelaration cut off ?

i might try some other default, but my neibhoor starting to look at me, i spent hour in the truck doing rev and cut off lol
Does your table go up to around 40 degrees?

Like I said, I’ll dig around a bit. I had the same problem and was able to fix it, but that was a couple years ago.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
yeah you are right mine arent stock, im inputing those and trying tomorow,
looks like a shared table or so, i guess rev limit has is timing retard table, so sharing the torque limiter one make perfect sense.

thanks

41 - 60 of 68 Posts