Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone else experienced the exhaust manifold cracking splitting open on top cracks on bottom. Also the 6 bolt was broke off in the engine prior to replacing the manifold.my mechanic showed me as soon as he took the heat shield and before he started taken it off.it is a 2.9 engine.

Attachments

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Yeah it's because of the material it's made out of. I don't think GM did enough fatigue testing on it and got the mix wrong on the metals used.

This is pretty common and most crack in that same place, seems to be more common with the 5 cylinders than the 4's though.

·
Administrator
8,939 Posts
You probably use your A/C a lot.
The A/C water drain tube is located right above the exhaust manifold.
Cold droplets of water hits the +1500* manifold and over time causes it to crack.
I'm sure there are other factors that cause it to crack as well but this is a common problem. Thermal Expansion vs negative thermal expansion.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Not on my 06 Colorado...yet (knock, knock, on wood), but on other vehicles - yes. How many miles on your motor?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
A fab shop can repair it.....but its a special process. Cost me about $100 to get mine done

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
You probably use your A/C a lot.
The A/C water drain tube is located right above the exhaust manifold.
Cold droplets of water hits the +1500* manifold and over time causes it to crack.
I'm sure there are other factors that cause it to crack as well but this is a common problem. Thermal Expansion vs negative thermal expansion.
Damn, I run mine all the time and never thought about that. Better not crack my damn header. :mad:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Any way to relocate this drain tube so it wont leak on to the manifold?
I used about a foot of heater hose and a hose clamp and a zip tie or two. I have it draining behind the passenger front tire . Before the mod it was draining right on the second o2 and then trickiling down to the flange. So I changed it.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
This damn site is always adding needed stuff to my to do list. :gd:

Thanks guys.

Ain't that the truth.

If I could just grow up and get an "adult" vehicle then I wouldn't need to worry about it I suppose.... then again, nah!

·
Registered
2 Posts
:th_s52:

This is not due to the A/C drain hose. It is nowhere near that drip.

This is off my 07 I4 at 215k miles. Not sure how long it's been like this, but it hasn't missed a beat driving around.

It's been throwing code P0171 frequently, came and went on its own. Sometimes I would get a shaky start, though it never misfired.

Pretty sure this will solve the CEL light and might pick up some MPGs. Averaging 18.6mpg for the last 10k miles.

Keep on trucking! :th_woot:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts