Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
I don't know what the price range is on decent quality parts for this truck/job. A couple hundred? So like $750-$1000 area all said and done?
$1000 sounds about right depending on the parts that are needed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
(Ack, I didn't edit my post fast enough, sorry for the repeat paragraph)

Do you have recommendations on specific brands that are good? I talked with him again and I'm having trouble convincing him that aftermarket parts aren't the devil so I need to show him a bunch of positive reviews for these before he'll accept the idea.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
(Ack, I didn't edit my post fast enough, sorry for the repeat paragraph)

Do you have recommendations on specific brands that are good? I talked with him again and I'm having trouble convincing him that aftermarket parts aren't the devil so I need to show him a bunch of positive reviews for these before he'll accept the idea.
I’m using Moog with decent success but my experiences are vastly different than most drivers I’d think. I’m pretty rough on bearings and steering components. I’m not exactly easy on brakes either.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have an '04 4x4. I've replaced my front hubs a few times each. The more you pay, the better/longer the warranty. I've replaced both hub bearings in an afternoon. Yes, in order to replace the rotors on a 4x4, you have to take the hubs off. On a 4x4, the front end is very similar to a front wheel drive vehicle, but the Colorado is a little unique in how the brake rotor attaches to the wheel hub. The easiest way to check a wheel hub bearing is to jack the front wheel up until it is off the ground and grab the top and bottom of the tire and see if there is any up/down play. If there is, it's a bad wheel bearing. The parts "wheel hub assembly" run anywhere from $175 - $300 for each side. That part includes the ABS sensor. I would think that if the wheel bearings seem to have gone out overnight, that the gas station guys both damaged the ABS sensor wire and did not re-install the hub bearing correctly. You can very easily google "2007 Chevy Colorado wheel hub bearing replacement". If you are unable to check the truck out yourself and if the owner is not capable of diagnosing the problem, then like everyone else has said, you need to find a good local mechanic. Most neighborhoods/towns have a facebook group page where they share information like this. BTW I googled "chevy colorado C0030 and got an instant diagnosis, some links to posts on this forum, videos and even saw a link to this post. I don't mean to be a jerk, but you don't seem to be capable of helping this guy out very much yourself. I think your best bet is to try to get some information from people in the area and simply help him find a reputable mechanic to take care of him.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've replaced both hub bearings in an afternoon.
That lines up with what Kenzen wrote about the book time being 5.1 hours. Can I ask what the circumstances where that made you replace them? Do you make a point to replace them whenever you replace the rotors?

The easiest way to check a wheel hub bearing is to jack the front wheel up until it is off the ground and grab the top and bottom of the tire and see if there is any up/down play.
OK this could help. When you say "up/down" do you mean lifting the wheel up and down or tilting it up and down? Like in other words, should the wheel remain perfectly perpendicular to the ground at all times? (or does it even matter).
I dunno that he's going to want to jack it up and test this, but I'll definitely suggest it to him as something he should check if he can.

I would think that if the wheel bearings seem to have gone out overnight, that the gas station guys both damaged the ABS sensor wire and did not re-install the hub bearing correctly.
Well the thing is we don't actually know if the hub bearings are bad. The dealer is the one saying they want to replace them, but didn't directly say why they wanted that or how far gone they are. The only info on their printout is that "DOC ID 2319397" calls for it, but I can't find any info on what that is.

BTW I googled "chevy colorado C0030 and got an instant diagnosis,
Can you post any of these links? Because no matter what search engine I use all I get back is random garbage. If I go to Google and type in "chevy colorado C0030" literally NONE of the pages Google gives me have that text, even if I put it in quotes. I'm looking at the results right now: two of the hits are to this very thread, one's some random page for replacement radio antennas, one's an auction page for Izuzu SUVs in Iowa, one's link to Amazon for a book about Las Vegas, one's a website for decoding your VIN.... etc. I don't know what I'm doing differently but I can't get Google or Bing or anything to give me more than random noise when I search for these.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Watch this series of videos to see how and what is involved in doing this job . It will give you a better idea as to why the repair is costly when done by a shop . It's very labor intensive and that's what drives up the cost . The only thing in the video that I disagree with is that he didn't purchase a hub with the sensor already installed .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
OK thanks. FWIW, we called the dealer got an itemized breakdown and they're not using a hub+sensor package either. They want $350 for each hub bearing and $100 for each sensor ($450 total per wheel) and claim 7h total labor at $140/h.

·
Registered
580 Posts
OK thanks. FWIW, we called the dealer got an itemized breakdown and they're not using a hub+sensor package either. They want $350 for each hub bearing and $100 for each sensor ($450 total per wheel) and claim 7h total labor at $140/h.
Ouch ! That's almost $1900.00 , which has to be half , if not more than the value of the truck . I didn't even know you could still buy the sensor separate from the hub . That's just more time to assemble and adds to labor costs . Will they reuse the rotors and pads , if they don't this will drive up the parts portion of the bill . Is there any way you or some friends of yours can do this yourselves ? It's not complicated just follow that video and borrow any tools you may need from AutoZone . If my truck needed hubs , rotors , and pads I could get it done with quality parts for about $450.00 . In fact I have done this on my truck and all I needed was to follow that guy in the video . I hope you can too .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That's almost $1900.00
Their total is actually a hair over $2K after you count tax and the $20 bolt they want to buy.

I didn't even know you could still buy the sensor separate from the hub . That's just more time to assemble and adds to labor costs
Yeah they're clearly trying to milk him.

Is there any way you or some friends of yours can do this yourselves ?
Not really no. He's elderly and I'm not really qualified to do something this involved. I've never done my own brakes and it'd be too likely I'd make stupid mistakes and make the problem worse. Has has no tools and all I have for cars is a socket set and the spare tire jack that came with my car. I don't have any friends who are car guys either. He really needs to bring it to a shop (just one that aren't crooks).

In fact I have done this on my truck and all I needed was to follow that guy in the video . I hope you can too .
I mean I'll look at the video again, but unless Autozone can let us borrow literally every single tool used and a lift I don't think it's going to happen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What Wiki says:
"The scare quotes could indicate that the word is not one the writer would normally use, or that the writer thinks there is something dubious about the word groupies or its application to these people.[18] The exact meaning of the scare quotes is not clear without further context."

(these are just quotes!, not scare quotes" :)

In this case if you had said "small garage" or "independent garage" or some other descriptor rather that "gas station", the meaning would have been clearer. JMHO. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So I've called a few shops... but I'm not sure what to make of their response. Places like Rockauto sell AC Delco and Moog bearing+sensor kits for under $160 each, but all the indy shops want around $370 each to order through them. Is it normal for local shops to be charging over twice the online price for these parts?

·
Registered
580 Posts
So I've called a few shops... but I'm not sure what to make of their response. Places like Rockauto sell AC Delco and Moog bearing+sensor kits for under $160 each, but all the indy shops want around $370 each to order through them. Is it normal for local shops to be charging over twice the online price for these parts?
That's the sad truth of the markup on parts . You may want to try these options . Keep shopping around for shops and explain your situation , older relative that has been taken advantage of , and ask if you can supply at least some of the parts to keep the cost down . Hopefully there are still some people that have compassion for a situation like this . I also would look into local schools that have vocational automotive students . Where I live they do take on projects like this for the students to learn on , don't worry the instructor supervises all work .

21 - 33 of 33 Posts