Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Recently got a 2007 Colorado 4x4 and it has 75k miles on it so I'm looking to do a rear diff old change and I got the oil and the ranch but when going under the car I notice
The diff cover is very rusty and there is no bolt to remove to add the oil

so my questions are:
1. I can't find the bolt I need to remove to fill up the oil so I'm probably not looking at the right place :( so any pointers would help
2. As I'll be looking to replace the cover and probably the gasket can you help with the GM PN's for it ?

Thanks a lot

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,733 Posts
Rear Axle Lubricant Level Inspection (8.0 Inch Axle)

Note: All axle assemblies are filled by volume of fluid during production. They are not filled to reach a certain level. When checking the fluid level on any axle, variations in the readings can be caused by factory fill differences between the minimum and the maximum fluid volume. Also, if a vehicle has just been driven before checking the fluid level, it may appear lower than normal because the fluid has traveled out along the axle tubes and has not drained back to the sump area. Therefore, a reading taken five minutes after the vehicle has been driven will appear to have a lower fluid level than a vehicle that has been stationary for an hour or two. Remember that the rear axle assembly must be supported to get a true reading.

1. Raise the vehicle.
  2. Make sure the vehicle is level.
  3. Inspect the rear axle for leaks. Repair as necessary.
  4. Clean the area around the rear axle fill plug.
  5. Remove the rear axle fill plug.
  6. Fabricate a dipstick from a pipe cleaner or similar item. Form the pipe cleaner into the shape of an "L".
    IMPORTANT: Ensure the the pipe cleaner is resting on the bottom threads of the fill hole.​
  7. Insert the pipe cleaner into the fill plug opening with the stem "L" is facing down.
  8. Inspect the lubricant level.
    Specification
    The lubricant level should be between 0-10 mm (0-0.4 in) below the fill plug opening.​
  9. If the fluid level is low, add lubricant until the level is even with the bottom edge of the fill plug opening. Use the proper fluid.
  10. Install the rear axle fill plug and tighten to 33 N·m (24 lb ft).
  11. Lower the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
13,733 Posts
Rear Axle Lubricant Replacement (8.0 Inch Axle)

Removal Procedure

1. Raise the vehicle.
  2. Clean the area around the rear axle fill plug.
  3. Remove the rear axle fill plug.
  4. Remove the rear axle cover.
  5. Drain the lubricant into a suitable container.
Installation Procedure
  1. Install the rear axle cover.
  2. Fill the rear axle with axle lubricant. Use the proper fluid.

Recommended Lubricant: SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. U.S. 12378261, in Canada 10953455) meeting GM Specification 9986115.
    Capacity: 3.4-3.8 pints or 1.6-1.8 L

3. Install the rear axle fill plug and tighten to 33 N·m (24 lb ft).
  4. Lower the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
13,733 Posts
Rear Axle Housing Cover and Gasket Replacement

Removal Procedure

Note: The gasket and rear cover are reusable. Replace them only if they are damaged.

1. Raise the vehicle.
  2. Remove the bolt for the rear brake pipe retainer.
  3. Remove the bolt for the mounting bracket.
  4. Remove the mounting brackets from the rear axle cover.
  5. Position a suitable drain pan under the axle.
  6. Remove the rear cover mounting bolts.
  7. Remove the rear cover and gasket from the differential housing.
  8. Drain the rear axle.

Installation Procedure

1. Clean the contact area for the rear cover and gasket and the differential housing.
  2. Install the retainer and mounting bracket for the rear brake pipe.
  3. Install the mounting bolt for the mounting bracket.
  4. Finger tighten the bolt for the mounting bracket.
  5. Install the axle housing cover and gasket.
  6. Install the mounting bolts and tighten to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).
  7. Install the retaining bolt for the brake pipe retainer and tighten to 20 N·m (14 lb ft).
  8. Fill the rear axle with fluid. Refer to Rear Axle Lubricant Level Inspection.
  9. Lower the vehicle.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts
Thanks for all the amazing info
My Diff looks a bit different I assume the bolt below the center is the one ?
Yes, that's the drain, spray it with PB blaster and let it soak for awhile.

Also, GM Part #12479335 includes the diff cover, gasket and all the bolts to install it. I bought one this time last year and was surprised it had everything.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts
Thank
GM Part #12479335 is discontinued so I can't order it
any one know how to cross reference it with something else ?
Google it. It might say its discontinued, but there are plenty of vendors that still have them.

Google > GM Part #12479335
Amazon > GM Part #12479335
eBay > GM Part #12479335

I'm willing to bet you can still get it. Beer bet?????? I know I can find it within 5 minutes or less

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/General-Motors-12479335-Differential-Cover/dp/B00M38ENK0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454112287&sr=8-1&keywords=GM+Part+%2312479335[/ame]

Amazon has it for $44.98 with 10 in stock

I guess I'm a Moderator and Members Tech Staff for a reason :kiki:

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All of them have it but decline the order as they don't stock it (got 5 decline so far) ;-(
eBay don't have it and the only one that did not decline yet is the Amazon one so I'm crossing my fingers

If not then option 2 will be to use a pump like this
and pump it out then refill it - any comments on that option ?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Recently got mine at the local GMC dealer, Cover, gasket and bolts in one bag! They didn't price match but met me in the middle.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts
I have that pump but its to pump in the oil from the quarts of 75w90 you buy for your differential. I dont think it will allow you to fully empty the differential as the spring tube is what would have to be inserted.
UNless you go to Lowes and get some tubing and attach it to the spring end; then you can use it as a pump.....I'll done it in a pinch and worked great

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts
All of them have it but decline the order as they don't stock it (got 5 decline so far) ;-(
eBay don't have it and the only one that did not decline yet is the Amazon one so I'm crossing my fingers

If not then option 2 will be to use a pump like this
Robot Check
and pump it out then refill it - any comments on that option ?
If Amazon accepts your order you should be good to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
End of story
the seller in Amazon come back to say he is out of stock and did it the option #2 way by pumping it out the refill a bit them pump it all out once more
once finish I top it up and we are all good

BTW,
If anyone need the size of the rear diff cover it's: 8 bolts, 3.73 ratio, 8.0 ring gear

Thanks for all your help

1 - 20 of 26 Posts