Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.9L colorado that has sat for 2 years. I have replaced the fuel pump and it seems to be working (fuel will spray out of the schrader valve). I cleaned the tank when I replaced the pump. It tries to start when I use starting fluid but will not continue to run. It is probably due plugs as they have nearly 100,000 miles on them. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I would get a loaner fuel pressure tool to check that you have at least 45 PSI at the rail. The schrader valve is an okay field test but if the PSI on the tool is good you can eliminate the pump and move on to another area. Does your model have the external fuel filter? It may be clogged. If your confident of good fuel delivery check for spark with a tester. If you can get hold of noid lights you can test the injectors to see if they are firing. That's how I would start to fix this but I'm no expert by any means as the last no start condition I fixed was like 45 years ago by replacing the points in my dad's Malibu. Post back your progress and hopefully better minds will help out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would get a loaner fuel pressure tool to check that you have at least 45 PSI at the rail. The schrader valve is an okay field test but if the PSI on the tool is good you can eliminate the pump and move on to another area. Does your model have the external fuel filter? It may be clogged. If your confident of good fuel delivery check for spark with a tester. If you can get hold of noid lights you can test the injectors to see if they are firing. That's how I would start to fix this but I'm no expert by any means as the last no start condition I fixed was like 45 years ago by replacing the points in my dad's Malibu. Post back your progress and hopefully better minds will help out.
Thanks, I am pretty sure the filter is with the pump. I'll try and get a pressure tool. I'm hoping its not the injectors. They look to be a pain to replace.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Try to get the engine scanned for codes, if any show up it will make the process easier. You can also search YouTube for Colorado/Canyon/H3Hummer crank no start videos for possible solutions, there are more than a few.

·
Registered
2005 Colorado Z71 4WD
108 Posts
Places like AutoZone have "loaner tools". Essentially you put a deposit down and take the tool. When done, you return the tool to get your full deposit back.

Good way to borrow the fuel pressure tester.

If you have good fuel pressure and it won't run on other than starting fluid, I would be concerned the injectors are clogged up.

If it runs on starter fluid, then the spark, compression and air flow are all good ... Missing component is fuel at that points

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Places like AutoZone have "loaner tools". Essentially you put a deposit down and take the tool. When done, you return the tool to get your full deposit back.

Good way to borrow the fuel pressure tester.

If you have good fuel pressure and it won't run on other than starting fluid, I would be concerned the injectors are clogged up.

If it runs on starter fluid, then the spark, compression and air flow are all good ... Missing component is fuel at that points
Thank you, that's what I was thinking too.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Have you gotten this sorted out to where the truck is running or at least had the fuel pressure checked with a gauge? If not go back to the starting fluid trick and make 100% certain it fires, not kinda fires up, in your first post you said tries to start up. If you have spark it should fire and run briefly before shutting down like you turned off the key. Get the fuel pressure tested, you need to establish which of these two variables is preventing the no start. Right now best guess is a faulty fuel pump relay, see if you can swap in a good one from another slot in the fuse panel and try that. Clean the two multi point ground connections to make sure the ground there is good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you gotten this sorted out to where the truck is running or at least had the fuel pressure checked with a gauge? If not go back to the starting fluid trick and make 100% certain it fires, not kinda fires up, in your first post you said tries to start up. If you have spark it should fire and run briefly before shutting down like you turned off the key. Get the fuel pressure tested, you need to establish which of these two variables is preventing the no start. Right now best guess is a faulty fuel pump relay, see if you can swap in a good one from another slot in the fuse panel and try that. Clean the two multi point ground connections to make sure the ground there is good.
Im going to try and get a gauge this weekend. I switched the relay-it still only runs as long as there is starting fluid in the intake.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im going to try and get a gauge this weekend. I switched the relay-it still only runs as long as there is starting fluid in the intake.
I figured it out. I was looking in the fuse box and saw a fuse was tilted back at a slight angle. Sure enough it was the injector fuse. I pulled it out and straightened it- the truck fired right up. Now the 'service charging system' message is flashing. I'm gonna tackle that next. Thanks for your help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts