Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a 2.9 for my colorado and I found one out of an 08 with low miles, the yard that has it telling me that its different from 07. They said the intake, cam actuator, crank sensor, and i believe cam sensor are different. Can anyone shed some light on whether on not the 08 engine will work in my 07 truck?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I need a 2.9 for my colorado and I found one out of an 08 with low miles, the yard that has it telling me that its different from 07. They said the intake, cam actuator, crank sensor, and i believe cam sensor are different. Can anyone shed some light on whether on not the 08 engine will work in my 07 truck?
Everything they said is true. If you buy the 08 you'll have a very nice all-aluminum door stop.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well since the head is interchangeable, why can't all of that just be swapped? Or does the 08 have a different reluctant wheel on the crank?

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Well since the head is interchangeable, why can't all of that just be swapped? Or does the 08 have a different reluctant wheel on the crank?
I believe the reluctor wheel is also different, yes.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I believe the tcm and ecm and a few of the sensors are different. That's not to say it can't happen. Just more work because its not plug and play.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The engine I was going to buy had a harness and pcm, but I just went ahead and got an 07 engine instead.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
08 had big electrical changes, trust me you saved yourself a lot of hassle.

07' was a changeover year on the 3.7L but they didn't make the communication style change yet which happened in 08' and went to a whole different style of engine management.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts