Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for those that know what is needed to swap in the 6.0 regarding electrical.
If I have the engine harness from a 2009 5.3 colorado, will the harness plug & play with a reflash of the 2008s 2.9 PCM?
I have HPtuners for executing the reflash, but am not sure if that will be as easy as it seems?

I plan to use a 6.0L from a 2010 or 2012 Escalade.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You can use the ECM but HPtuners won't reflash everything necessary. I believe there are 8 segments in the ECU and HP tuners only interfaces with 6 of them. You'll need factory level flashing tools to completely change the operating system in an ECU. Look for a Tech II or GM MDI. You'll have to have a subscription to ACDelco's SPS as well. It works through the Tech II or MDI.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can use the ECM but HPtuners won't reflash everything necessary. I believe there are 8 segments in the ECU and HP tuners only interfaces with 6 of them. You'll need factory level flashing tools to completely change the operating system in an ECU. Look for a Tech II or GM MDI. You'll have to have a subscription to ACDelco's SPS as well. It works through the Tech II or MDI.
Could I pull a junkyard pcm and install that or will I still need the Tech2 to marry the pcm to the truck?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is possible so long as the PCM is from a V8. HPtuners will let you change the VIN.
Specifically a Colorado or Canyon V8 PCM or any E67 PCM that controls a 5.3/6.0/6.2? While using the motor from a 2010 or 2012 Escalade, I could pull its' PCM too, if I'm reading you right? My swap will retain the AR5 using the fabbot Nexgen LS bellhousing-adapter, so I would expect the harness to plug & play once the neutral safety switch at the stock CC pedal assembly is spliced in & the Park Neutral Safety Switch is removed or bypassed. I've read conflicting information involving the stock CC throttle pedal. Some swaps used another platforms DBW setup (throttle body & pedal assembly) while other swaps didn't address it. I'm not sure if that was due to a forced induction driven change or addressing a functionality issue? Since I'm not going forced induction, would I be correct to expect the stock CC DBW setup to be a nonissue?

·
Registered
76 Posts
It would have to be a 355 factory V8 to be a straight install with no programming. The fullsize trucks used an E38 ecm, totally different design. The 2006-2007 CTS-V operating system has been successfully used in a 355 swap. It is setup for manual transmission BUT it was a reprogrammed 355 E67 ECM.

Here is a list with factory V8 vehicles with E67:
E67 ECMs Listing (efilive.com)

There were some 4cyl and v6 cars that had an E67 but you have to make sure the service number on the ECM is the same as a V8 vehicle. This is only if you are looking for a cheap ECM to have reprogrammed.

Get on the facebook group "chevrolet colorado/gmc canyon LS swaps & how to". Lots of info on this there and some guys there can program an ECM for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would have to be a 355 factory V8 to be a straight install with no programming. The fullsize trucks used an E38 ecm, totally different design. The 2006-2007 CTS-V operating system has been successfully used in a 355 swap. It is setup for manual transmission BUT it was a reprogrammed 355 E67 ECM.

Here is a list with factory V8 vehicles with E67:
E67 ECMs Listing (efilive.com)

There were some 4cyl and v6 cars that had an E67 but you have to make sure the service number on the ECM is the same as a V8 vehicle. This is only if you are looking for a cheap ECM to have reprogrammed.

Get on the facebook group "chevrolet colorado/gmc canyon LS swaps & how to". Lots of info on this there and some guys there can program an ECM for you.
Has the 06-07 CTS-V harness been used with the swap or is that going to be a rats nest to figure out or would it be simpler to obtain a CC v8 oem engine harness & plug the CTS-V PCM to that & reflash it with HPT? I know the CTS-V harness will be an used item to find, but if it makes the swap more streamlined, I'd dig hard for the CTSV harness.

Thanks for the heads up. I am familiar with the FB group, it's just not a place that has searchable or an easy way to retain the provided info in my experience.

·
Registered
76 Posts
CTS-V harness is not a good one to use. There is a lot of integration into different body harnesses with it. If you tried to use it for anything else you would have a lot of extra wiring. The ECU is under the front bumper on the outside of the frame.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll look for the year specific salvage yard 2007 CTS-V manual trans vehicle PCM & order a 2010/09 5.3 CC engine chassis harness, as that seems like it'll [in theory] plug & play once the junkyard CTS-V PCM is reflashed. I don't need to change the vin for any local purposes. So if my experiences with the H3 platform has any relevancy, the PCM & BCM should not have any issues operating together.

·
Registered
47 Posts
HP tuners can reflash 4Cyliner to V8, I had to replace my ECM and got one from a 2009+ 2.9 Colorado, and flashed the program on it no issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts