Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I just installed a skyjacker 4" suspension and a SuspensionMaxx 1.5" body lift to fit 285/70/17. Glad i added in the body lift cause i still get slight rub when turning. I have 4.5 backspace wheels to clear the lift spindle. I think a backspace of 4.75" or less is needed to clear the spindles. My tires stick out past Z71 fender flares. Check out tiresize.com and wheelsize.com for some good info on wheel tire specs.
Where are you rubbing with that setup? I am wondering if I could get away with 305/70/17's with a Tuff Country 4" lift and some judicious trimming....

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Just on the husky mud flap. Without it i wouldnt rub at all i think. With a 305 i believe you would have to mod the frame body mount behind the wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Where are you rubbing with that setup? I am wondering if I could get away with 305/70/17's with a Tuff Country 4" lift and some judicious trimming....
I seriously doubt you’d fit a spare 305/70r17 under your truck. My 255/80r17 barely squeezes in and the had to mod my exhaust and add another heat shield to get it to fit properly.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Just on the husky mud flap. Without it i wouldnt rub at all i think. With a 305 i believe you would have to mod the frame body mount behind the wheels.
That's what I suspected, thanks.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I seriously doubt you’d fit a spare 305/70r17 under your truck. My 255/80r17 barely squeezes in and the had to mod my exhaust and add another heat shield to get it to fit properly.
That would matter.....if I was going to mount the spare under the truck. I plan to carry two spares, one on a swing out tire carrier and the "spare" spare over the cab on the rack. The ladder rack I picked up that I intend to modify will cover the entire cab.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
That would matter.....if I was going to mount the spare under the truck. I plan to carry two spares, one on a swing out tire carrier and the "spare" spare over the cab on the rack. The ladder rack I picked up that I intend to modify will cover the entire cab.
😳

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Not exactly the gospel but not far off from reality. Specifically look at #2 & #7.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Point taken, I would probably be fine with a good plug kit and air compressor instead of the "spare" spare. I do understand the weight and center of gravity issues. The rack is lightweight and will be even lighter weight (not to mention shorter) when I have modified it. I probably also will not put more than the rooftop tent, one solar panel and maybe a set of MaxxTraxx up there. Weight and center of gravity are also why I am trying to get away with less lift height and want to stay away from a body lift altogether.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
My 285/70/17 fit with no mods. Im not sure if the V8 tailpipe is routed differently than the I5 but its not an issue. Comes very close to shackle bolt head though. Im sure thats the biggest you can go under the bed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Bringing this thread back to life with another question. I decided to go with the Wulf key and shackle suspension lift and added a 1.5” suspension maxx body lift on top of it. Had it all installed today by my mechanic and everything looks great except the front bumper. He said he could not raise the front bumper because of how the frame is setup. Only way he could see doing it would be to cut a hole into the plastic on the bumper for the frame to poke through. Is this right? Seems like this would have been accounted for in the lift instructions but apparently it’s not. I gotta fix this because now I have a 1.5” gap between my bumper and grill that looks like s*#t! Any help would be great

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Bringing this thread back to life with another question. I decided to go with the Wulf key and shackle suspension lift and added a 1.5” suspension maxx body lift on top of it. Had it all installed today by my mechanic and everything looks great except the front bumper. He said he could not raise the front bumper because of how the frame is setup. Only way he could see doing it would be to cut a hole into the plastic on the bumper for the frame to poke through. Is this right? Seems like this would have been accounted for in the lift instructions but apparently it’s not. I gotta fix this because now I have a 1.5” gap between my bumper and grill that looks like s*#t! Any help would be great
This may help.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
The lower valance can just be pushed out on the bottom where the frame rails hit it. Its a tight fit when installing it yourself but can be done. I'll get you a pic of mine. There is still a gap but i used 1/2" pipe foam wrap to use as a filler just wedged in. You can also call Larry at Suspension maxx and he will explain how to in detail. I just talked to him last fall when i did mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Awesome. I would certainly appreciate that. I just can’t make myself like the idea of seeing the frame through the front valance. My tires are ordered and going to try and fix this in a few days when they get here. Trying to give my mechanic some options because he wasn’t sure how to proceed and didn’t want to start cutting things without discussing it with me first! You guys are great!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts