Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Chevrolet Colorado
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally purchased myself a Colorado 2 days ago and have been loving it so far. I bought it knowing about this issue and the previous owner seemed to be surprised by it when I was checking out the truck (he's 90 and put under 10k on it in the 5 years he's owned it). But when I put the truck is 4WD the light just stays flashing, I thought replacing the 4WD actuator would fix it but I had the same issue with the new one I installed today so I decided to return it. I tested both the old and new one and neither were moving when I would press the 4Hi button. I can hear a motor noise and click when I shift into 4WD but it doesn't engage, when I put it in 4Lo I get the usual clunk but that doesn't engage either, light just stays flashing. My uncle tested the actuator plug and said it was getting power but then later said it was getting power all the time so I don't know what to think of that. I've read a lot of threads on similar problems but can't seem to pinpoint what my issue may be. Would appreciate any help I could get so I can get my 4WD back up and running before the heavy snow hits here in Upstate NY!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
A lot of electrical items on our trucks have constant 12V, but the switch actually provides ground for the item. The control box for the 4wd is under the driver's seat under the carpet. I'd check all of those connections and grounds really good. It's my understanding that the transfer case has to move all the way into it's engaged position before the switch to activate the front axle actuator send the signal to lock the front end. The only real way to test it is with all 4 wheels off the ground. Put it in 4WD and if the front driveshaft turns the transfer case is working. If the front wheels don't both turn, you've got a problem in the wiring for the front axle actuator.
There's lots of folks here that will probably chime in too with some great suggestions.

·
Registered
2011 Chevrolet Colorado
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lot of electrical items on our trucks have constant 12V, but the switch actually provides ground for the item. The control box for the 4wd is under the driver's seat under the carpet. I'd check all of those connections and grounds really good. It's my understanding that the transfer case has to move all the way into it's engaged position before the switch to activate the front axle actuator send the signal to lock the front end. The only real way to test it is with all 4 wheels off the ground. Put it in 4WD and if the front driveshaft turns the transfer case is working. If the front wheels don't both turn, you've got a problem in the wiring for the front axle actuator.
There's lots of folks here that will probably chime in too with some great suggestions.
Thanks for the reply! My uncle has a lift so should be easy enough to test. Going to mess with it as much as I can tomorrow and hopefully can get it working.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Your issue sounds like what I had to deal with twice in the past. In both cases it turned out to be the 2/4 transfer case switch. To test do the following.
With truck in drive creep forward and push the High button.
Brake to a full stop and turn off ignition in Drive. Shift to Park or Neutral.
Restart engine, shift to Drive, creep forward and push the High button. Now try to make a turn. If you feel that grab as you turn you have 4 High and most likely have a bad 2/4 switch. With my truck this test determined twice that this switch failed. In fact this method to test comes from an old post on this forum but I could not locate it. The replacement part is GM# 98181804.

·
Registered
2011 Chevrolet Colorado
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your issue sounds like what I had to deal with twice in the past. In both cases it turned out to be the 2/4 transfer case switch. To test do the following.
With truck in drive creep forward and push the High button.
Brake to a full stop and turn off ignition in Drive. Shift to Park or Neutral.
Restart engine, shift to Drive, creep forward and push the High button. Now try to make a turn. If you feel that grab as you turn you have 4 High and most likely have a bad 2/4 switch. With my truck this test determined twice that this switch failed. In fact this method to test comes from an old post on this forum but I could not locate it. The replacement part is GM# 98181804.
Well I had my wiring guy stop by today and test everything and sure enough it is the 2/4 switch! So now just the waiting game on getting the part! Gonna call around tomorrow and hopefully I can get one without waiting a week for shipping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts